Velux sticky stuff

Velux windows always seem to come with printed material in an envelope, stuck to the windows with four blobs of sticky stuff, which is left stuck to the glass after you've pulled the envolopes off. Does anyone have a quick and effective method for moving the bloody stuff? I have four windows and only so many fingernails.

Cheer Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:05:25 -0800, geraldthehamster wibbled:

Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) works for me[1]. Not instant - wipe on all the patches on one pane, then go over again and the sticky will come off fairly easily. Kitchen tissue seems to work well. If no IPA, try surgical spirit. Acetone (traditional nail polish remover) would probably work but is likely quite risky on any plastics nearby so be careful. Meths might work to some degree too, but I find it a relatively useless solvent.

Or use a credit card to do the scraping - won't damage the surface.

[1] In fact, I find it a really good about the home cleaner. Marks come of switch plates, shifts difficult grease spots from kitchen surfaces and takes the final dirt layer off white goods. Seems reasonably safe at not melting plastics you care about IME. Cleans the microwave, especially the glass, much better than any detergent I've found.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks Tim. I'll see if the chemist has any, unless you know where else one can get it. I remember it used to be sold to clean the heads on cassette decks, so hifi places used to sell it, though I expect those days have passed. Someone I knew also used to use it to dissolve crushed hashish, to extract the oil, but that's another story ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Cans and aerosols from CPC. I use it all the time too!

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:28:14 -0800, geraldthehamster wibbled:

A proper old time chemist shop (at least a non chain - eg Boots are useless) is a reasonably good bet. Otherwise, most of them are happy to order it. Otherwise, Rapid, CPC, Farnell, RS etc.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tell the chemist, when she asks why you want it (and she will) that you want it to clean the glass on your private aircraft's instruments. That is the same situation that we used it for at BAe systems.

Good luck.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have a two and a half litre bottle of it and I have only used one half of it in just over ten years. An aerosol won't last much more that about

2 to 3 years before the gas has gone.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Had exactly that problem on my Velux windows.

Tried scraping it off one window when they were new, left marks.

So left all the other windows for some time.

Couple of months later, stuff peels off all the other windows, no marks.

My guess is that hot summer sunshine has evaporated some chemical constituent.

So you could try - if you're brave - moderate application of the heat gun.

Reply to
dom

WD40! Seriously :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Horses for courses. I use that much in about 4 or 5 months...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

There's a man living on the bench at the bottom of our street who could probably get through it in about 40 minutes ;-)

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

As used for lubricating lock gates on canals - saw it on countryfile so it must be true

(looks at 5l container c/w spray applicator bought yesterday from CPC)

Reply to
geoff

Wood or plastic spatula or try that thing used to get frost of your car windows, as long as its not metal.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

I knew you would come around eventually Geoff. The Liberation Front could do with a cell in Wotfud.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Eventually ?

Did you miss my flame war some time ago ?

I buy it 5l at a time, we use it for freeing off shafts etc

Reply to
geoff

I concur. It was recommended to me here for the same problem [probably by TMH] and it really does work a treat.

Reply to
Simon C.

Thanks everyone. I'll try the WD first and report back

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster