velcro fasteners

Earlier this year before embarking on a longish holiday abroad with the car, I had the idea of using Velcro pads to fix a few small objects in the car so that they could be conveniently to hand.

This worked very well until I got into hot sunny conditions, when the velcro adhesive just melted - I would guess that it's only good up to about 60 °C. I believe Velcro (or someone) do a high temperature version of their hook & loop pads, but I don't think it's normally sold to the public. At any rate I've been unable to find anywhere to buy it.

One solution might be to use a non-adhesive velcro (of the kind used in outdoor clothing) and my own adhesive to stick it down. So my question is, what is a suitable adhesive? I want something that is:

a) suitable for a vinyl car interior

b) good up to about 100 °C,

c) able to stand vibration,

d) (ideally) removable from vinyl with a suitable solvent

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Mike Lane

Evostick contact adhesive would be great - but not sure about (d) though

David

Reply to
Lobster

How about silicone ..again not sure about (D).

Reply to
Stuart

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:20:20 +0000, Stuart wrote (in article ):

I'm not sure what that is. Is there a common brand name I could look for?

Reply to
Mike Lane

It stuff you get in a tube that you put in a sort of gun applicator .It is used to seal fittings like baths, w/hand basins,kitchen worktops etc .....usually to walls to stop moisture ingress. Other stuff is made to build aquariums . I'm sure you'll have seen it .maybe without realising .

Have a look here but you get it in sheds like B and Q etc .

'll need the gun as well.

For your purpose I would think clear is best and the cheapest stuff would do .As said how it would do for your use when you want to remove it I'm not sure about it . I'd use it somewhere that it won't do any harm first so you can see how it goes and whether it does any damage to the vinyl.

You can also get remover which would be useful .

Reply to
Stuart

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:22:48 +0000, Stuart wrote (in article ):

Ah yes! I know what you mean now - I think I might actually have some somewhere. I'll look out for the remover and try it out first - I don't want to make a total mess of my car interior.

Thanks for the explanation.

Reply to
Mike Lane