Vehicle Oil Leaks

I can never seem to get the conventional copper washers used on sump and gearbox drain plug bolts to seal 100%. Even with a brand new washer, blue hyolmar and the correct torque, there'll always be annoying drips, it seems. So this time, having changed the engine oil, gearbox and transfer box oils, I've used ordinary steel washers, but wound a couple of loops of PTFE thread tape around the bolts before re-inserting them. No sign of a single drip yet! But I'm just wondering (since I've never seen this practice ever recommended anyplace) if there's anything I've overlooked by doing this that might bite me in the arse a few hundred miles into the future. Any ideas?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Are the seats knackered?

I've never had a problem with mine (XUD and HDi engines, torqued up, no sealant used).

Reply to
Clive George

Get shot of the hylomar. Make sure you've cleaned all the residue of any old hylomar from the sump and the plug.

I've never ever had a leak from a sump plug - even when reusing copper washers.

Reply to
Adrian

Heat the copper washer to red hot and plunge in water. It will then seal with no added crap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) scribbled

+1
Reply to
Jonno

In article , Cursitor Doom writes

Not a Land Rover by any chance? The leaks are a design feature so that when they stop you know it's empty.

Reply to
bert

Yes, it is. So that explains it..

Reply to