Vax V 125 brushes not rotating

Anyone dismantled one of these, or know of any useful links? Had a bit of a Google, but there doesn't seem to be much advice out there. The brushes themselves and the filter are fine, I have dismantled the outer parts but can't see how to get into the brush drive gearbox for the moment. Since the literature says a blocked filter causes slow brushes it sounds like they are driven by a turbine from the vacuum, is this correct?

Anyone had good or bad experience with their service people?

TIA

Reply to
newshound

In message , newshound writes

We have an upright VAX cleaner that came with a long (5 year?) guarantee. SWMBO says it's too heavy for her, so I am the one who occasionally drives it. I poked it under a bed about 6months ago, the engine note changed and there was a horrible smell. A pair of tights had got wrapped around the brush, the belt had broken and some of the plastic brush mountings were melted. I tried and failed to buy a replacement belt locally, Curry's and Comet were utterly useless, but I found a "nearly" one in a small back street shop, which proved it needed more than the belt.

Rang the guarantee number. They were amazed I had kept the box, collected the unit and returned it repaired a few days later, all at no cost to me. I would rate the service as excellent.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks very much. You hear so many stories about dire after-sales service these days. I'll have one more poke around, then give them a ring. Amazon are doing six year guarantee on the new super version (which is well over twice the price we paid two years ago), but SO hasn't kept any guarantee paperwork so I guess we are going to be charged.

Reply to
newshound

Very good. Phone them.

Vax used to have a good reputation for the squat orange wet & drys. Then they made some small upright carpet cleaners that weren't so reliable and their reputation took a hammering. They seem to have reacted to this by getting their act very much together: the bigger machines (we have a 124) are now robust and reliable. They also have a very good central service organisation which emphasises dealing direct with them, rather than local dealers.

Reply to
Andy Dingley