Varnish removal from woodwork

Okay, I'm learning as I go but I have a question concerning semi-cleaned wooden skirting. I've used an 'environmentally correct' varnish remover as opposed to Nitromas which appears to have removed the VAST majority of the varnish but 'shoe who like to be obeyed' has now suggested that 'we' clean the wood down with caustic soda then ligtly sand the eventually dried skirting board (raised grain?). Questions being;

How strong a solution of caustic is required? Does the wood need to be neutralised afterwards with acid (doesn't the room stink)? By acid I mean vinigar.

The wood had come up fairly well, even though it is cheap pine but definately needs rubbed down. Oh, and the final finish will be waxing of said wood.

Thanks in advance and any/all suggestions gratefully received.

Harry

Reply to
H.Morrison

Maybe it would have been quicker to fit new skirting?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Christian,

Don't imagine for a second that thought has not shot through my head. Especially when twisted in poses that a contortionist would be envious of! As it is, was halfway through and had that 'I will not be beaten' attitude. Bugger it!

Harry

Reply to
H.Morrison

Hi, did/doing mine with the eco stuff to get wrid of most of the old paint. Using a small amount of nitro with wire wool to clean up the rest. The rust coloured 3m sanding wheels are very good at removing paint but leaving wood especially along moulded sections, although they make ALOT of dust.

Are you planning on having them stripped or re-painting?

Bax

Reply to
Baxter Basics

Used that Home Strip (TM) stuff to remove all the varnish and for the most part it did a good job. Not allowed to use nitro in this case but since She has used caustic in the past, it was 'suggested' to me!

I've, for the most part, taken the varnish off and back to wood. Plan to wax them once they've been cleaned.

Harry

Reply to
H.Morrison

About 10% is usual. If possible use a synthetic fibre brush as ordinary bristle won't last 5 minutes. Gloves (without holes) essential.

I wouldn't bother.

If the original varnish is soluble in caustic (drop some bits of it in the caustic and see) it's a good way to clean up and make the surface more uniform. If it's polyurethane or something modern, forget it. Caustic will darken the wood a little but this can be reversed and a really nice look created with peroxide. Briwax P7 would be my choice of wax.

Reply to
stuart noble

Okay, I seem to have all those points covered but nothing like someone else confirming it.

Goood, a living room smelling like a chippy doesn't appeal.

Okay, don't have the original varnish but will try a test patch and see the results. And thanks for the info, very helpfull. Will update on the results later.

Reply to
H.Morrison