Varnish Over Water Based Paint?

Hi all

I am a water-based-paint convert and use it for doors, skirtings etc. One place where I think it may suffer though is the stairway newel posts due to constant handling. If I use normal gloss paint just for these it may look out of place (due to white variation and apparent finish). Has anyone tried using water-based paint in this location or alternatively tried sealing/varnishing over painted surface tomake it more durable?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Oh yes. Acrylic varnish is itself water based and goes on fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do it in water-based and see how it lasts. If you find it needs re-painting every six weeks, THAT'S when to consider alternatives.

Reply to
Laurence Payne

"The Natural Philosopher"

Thanks NP

But does it provide a hard waring coat, or is it a relatively soft finish like the paint?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"Laurence Payne" wrote

Having used water based paint on doors already, I know how it wears. I am prepared to put up with the accelerated wear for the benefit of a non-yellowing coat. Having 2 teenage kids, I know the newel posts get hammered so I would rather try to protect the finish from day one.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

A film is only as strong as the weakest element. Nothing much you can do to make acrylic harder wearing. Also, "clear" acrylics are usually cloudy rather than truly transparent.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

replying to TheScullster, allpaintedout wrote: G'day all. I fear this of absolutely no use to you but you have hit a nerve!!!!........This cry comes from a bod still practising after 65 yrs and with a wife crumblingly more competent at the dark art of DIY.....i stand ready to be jeered, speared and sent to the dulux tin (other brands available) of a distant planet, ruled over by VOC's and other such villains... I recently took on the restoration of our bedroom: Sound proofing old lathe and cover walls (plasterer employed for final finish), Part wall patterned papering walls, emulsion remainder. All furniture moved offsite whist further sound proofing and carpet laid. Everything good so far.........then I take to furniture with new water based based paint (new brushes etc.,) Instructions followed to the letter. *STILL "TACKY" AFTER 5 HOURRS - THUMB NAIL GIVES INDENT.* Wife threatening sanctions *After seven hours seems ok so I seek to complete my final part of the plan: Apply a hard varnish (aCRYLIC) to the working surfaces i.e. the top of bed side tables and chest of draws (x3). RESULT: Underlying paint revolts and will not set or in some cases peels.*

If you haven't fallen asleep any advice before divorce!

Reply to
allpaintedout

Before we go much further, can you actually see these replies?

(posts from usenet to home owner hub rarely seem to get seen - especially when its a very old thread that is being re;lied to)

Reply to
John Rumm

Interesting description...

Reply to
Geo

Hmm, did not spot the typo at the time, but in some cases it might be appropriate ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm