varifocals

But then they are tax deductable as is all necessary safety gear.

Reply to
dennis

Maybe if you're a slef-employed computer person you might get away with it but as a plumber I doubt HMRC (or my accountant) would give me the time of day on that one.

Reply to
YAPH

|You obviously don't have eye problems.

You tell me how one set of glasses can keep both infinity in focus, and the dashboard.

PC plod isn't likely to take 'the speedo is all blurry' as an excuse..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the only problem with driving is reversing, when you tend to look out of the edge of the glasses, just make sure you get big enough glass (top gun style is ideal IMHO) so that the "reading" part isn't set to far up. Then you will be able to see everything. They do of course make some people feel seasick at first.

Reply to
Allthumbs

I have no problems 'reading' the dashboard without reading specs. Even although I do need them for ordinary reading.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've not tried it but my brother has - and went back to his ordinary distance glasses for driving.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I found (somewhat suprisingly) that the edge of the bonnet bisects the view through the lens, such that all the ouside viewing is done through the distance part and the reading part is confined to the dashboard, as Huge said. I would say I found driving to be the most ideally suited activity for varifocals, rather than the least, the least being reading the paper (for me it's easier to take them off) and using a control desk with equipment above head height.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

me too! Perfect.

Reply to
Allthumbs

I use the mirrors, all three of them, much better visibilty that way. I do turn my head to look further away but none of that craning round trying to be an owl. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You arenmt old enough then ! I need specs to see infinity. specs to read supermarket labels, specs to read/compute with and specs to do detailed work.

Roughly, 0.5, 1.5.2.5 and 3.5 diopters, respectively.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't see why you can't claim for health and safety. The HSE would back you up on that.

Does a self emplyed building worker not claim for health and saftey boots and helmet. Once they get a hit, they have to be replaced.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Before last September, I had 20 20 vision in my left eye and I could read a real ale pump clip from 5 yards away and tell you the ABV of the beer.

Since my op for a detached retina, the sight in that eye has fallen very slightly, not enough to stop me driving, but I can't read the ABV anymore.

After the op for the detached retina, the surgeon inserted a bubble in my eye that was used to press the retina back onto my eye ball. This caused me some dificulty in reading the dash for a couple of weeks with that eye, but the other one cut in then.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I had two sets of varifocals. Reckoned my eyes deteriorated quicker with them. I now use bifocals for general use (for a larger reading area) and single vision for reading and computer(actually old (weaker)reading specs for latter).

I won't have another pair of varifocals.

Reply to
<me9

AAAARRRRGGGHHH! you have my sympathy. I have to use my eyes bare (suitably short sighted but I then lose, or worse, stand on my glasses) for that sort of thing. Bi or varifocals are completely unsuitable for overhead close work. I have heard it is possible to get bifocals the wrong way round, which would be a useful option if needing to do a lot of overhead work.

Reply to
<me9

A friend's husband has a pair like that, for car repair.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Didn't whatshisname the snooker player have something similar?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

DEniis someoneonerother.

Reply to