vanishing drill bit

hi

6mm masonry bit just gradually disappeared today. Drilling into concrete with it, and it got narrower and narrower till there was no flutes left. Then it gave up. Do they normally vanish like this?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

They do when the end drops off and you don't notice. :))

Reply to
EricP

Reply to
Mindwipe

When they come from the pound shop they do!

Reply to
Paul C Lewis

If you hit a bit of steel, they don't last long ......

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Conventional bits and conventional hammer action drills are not good enough for concrete.

You need a SDS type bit and drill. You can hire them or buy them - cost a bit more though.

Reply to
Peter In Knowsley

Yes, It has heated up to such a point ( blue/black if you look at it whilst still smoking ) if you have done the following

1) Bought cheap cheap drillbits.. 2) Not cleared the hold of debris whilst drilling by taking the rotating bick back out of the hole several times 3) Drilled at too high a speed

WHY did it fall apart

The tip starts to heat up due to (see above )

1) Cheap bits blunt very easily..A blunt tip doesn't cut and merely starts to create a nice hot environment that softens the metal to such a degree it loses its hardness and is like drilling with a soft nail 2) The debris creates so much friction due to the enclosed space and the flutes close up that heat once again builds up 3) Try not to drill tough concrete etc on a high speed drill. Once again, heat affects the drillbits.

Classic signs are the actual drill motor/unit not getting closer to the wall..Lots of smoke, not dust coming from the hold and a lovely smell..Take the bit out of the hold and enjoy the metallic blue look on the end..Then throw away using pliers or you will burn your little fingers :)

Reply to
Ged

No it drilled it fine, didnt even need hammer action. Just the bit didnt last very well.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I dont think so, theres no sign of it overheating. No discoloring, the TCT bit is still there, albeit much narrower than it started. And the narrowing isnt confined to the tip where most heat generates, all along its ground thin.

I think its just a case of abrasion. I must have done 2 or 3 dozen holes with it. No idea where the bit came from, could be anything - just one I found rolling around in the toolbox.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Well if it's concrete you will need to put it on hammer! You'll be burning out bits for a month otherwise!!

Into brick, they are okay but concrete..... No conventional masonry bit will last more than a couple of holes.

bye

Reply to
Peter In Knowsley

Well, I already said it drilled the concrete without hammer action with no problem, and that it lasted a couple of dozen holes... not sure what else I can add.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton