Vaguely OT:Phone for use as SMS gateway

Its not sensible to use a phone when you have broadband. The phone will probably have run out of credit or have been terminated when it comes to being used in anger.

Its probably easier to use something like

to monitor the machine and assume its the power if its gone. Maybe get a friend to do the monitoring for you if £3pa is too steep?

Reply to
dennis

Which bit about not having broadband due to lack of power to the router did you not follow?

Plenty of sim only deals out there that will stay active with one call every six months.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well after some tweaking and reading, I have managed to get the Ubuntu bluetooth stack up & running, and have seamlessly connected to my old Sony W800i. This is my old personal phone, unused (except to keep the credit live) for 4 years, since I was given a phone by work. So it's just a case of writing a shell script to send an SMS and calling that from the upsmon service when a power outage happens.

Intriguingly enough, now I have a GSM enable device, the possibility of sending an SMS message to do something has arisen. Not sure what yet. Turn some lights on and off ? Start the central heating ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

launch a nuclear attack?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Joshua: Shall we play a game? David Lightman: Oh! Jennifer: [giggles] I think it missed him. David Lightman: Yeah. Weird isn't it? Jennifer: Yeah. David Lightman: [typing] Love to. How about Global Thermonuclear War? Joshua: Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess? [Jennifer laughs] David Lightman: [typing] Later. Let's play Global Thermonuclear War. Joshua: Fine."

(Quote from "War Games", 1983)

Beware the unsecured connection and the hacker.

Reply to
John Williamson

No, but a bit of X10 and an angle grinder could be interesting ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Somehow that reminded me of this from 28 years ago (with no X10 or angle grinder)

The Other Mike

Its a UPS, why can't there be broadband? Is it too complicated to plug the router into the UPS?

QED.

Reply to
dennis

One of the programmers I knew used sms to control power to his servers. I think it was paranoia as he would send it an SMS and it would shut down for a while and then power up again, supposedly so he could avoid hackers.

Reply to
dennis

Already proven... I have Virgin sim here that has not been used for over a year at times, and still works.

Anyway, with an automated system its hardly difficult to have it spit out a "keep alive" SMS every few months to make sure.

Reply to
John Rumm

And if the server can understand incoming SMS then if you don't reply to the keep-alive SMS within 24 hours it can email you, or self- destruct, or whatever.

Owain

Reply to
Owain