Vacuum cleaner blow sparks claim

I know some people are strongly pro or anti Dysons, thought this might interest:

Owain

A man is suing cleaning giant Dyson for damages after his new vacuum cleaner sent him flying down the stairs.

At Aberdeen Sheriff Court, he said the hose extension knocked him down his stairs as he tried to clean cobwebs.

Dyson admitted liability for the accident and the court must now decide the amount of damages to be paid.

A Dyson spokesman: ".. Dyson would not recommend that anyone use their vacuum cleaner while standing on a chair at of the stairs."

Owain

Good for him!

I hope he gets a rich reward.

1p and costs for both parties seems about right.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Generous ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

In message , Owain writes

An adult, stands on a chair at the top of a flight of stairs, stretches as far as he can with a push-fit extension hose and then sues when the hose comes apart and he loses his balance!!!

Dyson's insurers are crazy to admit liability (IMO).

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

happened was the super-stretchy hose contracted, causing the user to unbalance, and the "flash" was just a glint off the aluminium tube section.

SWMBO has bought a Dyson. I recently cleaned the stairs, and even with no extension tube, it is a real fight against the hose trying to retract. Next time I might have to sneak Henry back from the garage ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In article , "dave @ stejonda" writes

I have had a few dealings with injury claims at work and insurers seem to be very quick to admit liability and settle the claim, even when the case is absolutely ludicrous. I am not sure why, perhaps on average it works out cheaper than fighting the case. Unfortunately people read about these cases and the "no win no fee" solicitors become ever more popular.

Anyway, what does "standing on a chair at of the stairs" mean?

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

"Tim Mitchell" wrote | >Dyson's insurers are crazy to admit liability (IMO). | I have had a few dealings with injury claims at work and | insurers seem to be very quick to admit liability and | settle the claim, even when the case is absolutely | ludicrous. I am not sure why, perhaps on average it | works out cheaper than fighting the case.

They are probably better settling even ludicrous cases, especially if they can do so for modest amounts of compensation, than be taken to court and have both a court judgement against them (which will probably affect the company's insurance premiums, whereas a small compo settlement can be met out of petty cash) and setting a judicial precedent which will apply not only to that company but to the entire industry and is something the insurance companies want to avoid. A few thousand in compo is less than legal fees anyway.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

SWMBO has two dysons. She now has, after a huge fight which I simply abandoned, realised that for 99% of te cleaing - i.e. teh atirs, teh corridoprs and in teh roosmaller roms lugging a bid dyson around is a waste of tiem, and it still neeeds emtying. My little 50 quid bagless is now the major vacuum in teh house,..

I have noted, but not remarked, on this fact.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher