UV light for kids room?

Fluorescence is immediate, phosphoresence has a time delay.
From physics, either of them can work from absorbing any wavelength to emitting any wavelength, except that the wavelength must get longer. From chemistry, to find something that emits visible light needs something that absorbs at the UV or at least blue end of the spectrum.
Almost all of the cheap stuff is zinc sulphide, which gives that "halloween green" colour. It's a lousy phosphor, but it's cheap.
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:18:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Erm there is naff all visible light from this UV security illuminator. Plenty of UV and that is absorbed and re-emitted in the visible range. B-)

No need I'm not the OP. I just did a bit of research about UV and the glow in the dark things, they don't glow as he would like them to.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
| When you see these things for sale in shops they are often glowing | brightly under some sort of UV (AFAIK) light.
Those are fluorescent. UV light will cause anything that is washed with optical brighteners to fluoresce, including the bedcovers, pyjamas, etc. I think this effect might be rather more appropriate in a discotheque than a small child's bedroom :-)
Owain
Owain <Use owain to email me.> wrote:

Thats the ones.

Maybe - but I am talking about the same bits of plastic. Several local shops sell these luminous stars etc - they have them on a stand with what I assume is a UV fluorescent tube over the top. There is some fluorescent paint on the stand but the stars themselves certainly appear to glow. I guess they are luminous and fluorescent.

From school discos many moons back I seem to remeber that dandruff can glow quite well as well :-)
Darren
A bit off topic - but why do I find that Blue LEDs (washer jets on the kids Corsa's) are difficult to focus on? (Red to a lesser degree)
--

Regards

John

"dmc" < snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@heron.ukc.ac.uk...

age
--
dave @ stejonda

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:45:08 -0000, John wrote:

Blue light refracts or bends more than red light when passing through different density substances. This means the cornea and lens in your eye bends the blue light to much causing it to be out of focus on the retina.
Age and hardening of the lens may make this worse I guess.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

was
And your white underwear under black clothes.
On Tue, 28 Oct 03 17:09:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) wrote:

Especially if you wash your hair in DAZ.
DG
Owain wrote:

There is a difference?

Have you considered making stuff out of electroluminscent sheet?

Nope.
Should I? This is the stuff that lights up (well, glows) I assume - the stuff that some nightlights are made from?
Could be an option although sounds pricey. Is this something that I could get hold of easily? (away from web access at the mo - telnet only so can't search easily!)
Cheers,
Darren
On Wed, 29 Oct 03 12:51:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) wrote:

Used to be expensive, but showed up on the surplus market. Now it's common as muck and Maplin et al are selling it for decorating the inside of PCs. "glow string" is popular, but a little Googlejuice will find you sheets too.
F-15 fighters carry night formation marker panels made from a PCB strip about a foot long, with this EL sheet on the surface. You can fretsaw the stuff quite easily and so long as it remains connected into one piece, it still glows. To power it, I used those little inverters from ancient Newbrain laptops that Greenweld sold at "3 for a quid" for years.