UTP loop outside house?

Page 2 of 2

Yep - I've seen the results of this. Not pretty :-)

Thats exactly what I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation.
Darren

That's in the eye of the beholder -- personally I found myself struck with a certain sense of awe at the power of nature to turn one-time hard-edged solid blocks of epoxy into white powder :-)
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ No Rules, OK

If its not black, yes, it will due to ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
Run it in 20mm black plastic electrical conduit, prob solved.
Dave

Dave Stanton wrote:

No prob to start with anyway. In 10 years teh outer sheath will crack off, in another ten the inter-conductor inuslation may fall off and teh wires corrode, in a further ten the whle thing will be ...well obsolete! so why worry.
It will last longer than the tenure on the house, or the use of UTP as networking medium.

I'd still just use wifi. I had a similar issue with my desktop machine and just bought a USB wireless adapter. You can get them for a touch over 30 quid (the UTP will cost you for faceplates etc as well). My time is too valuable to start installing cables that just don't need to exist. I can also shift my machine easily when I need to. Unless you are shifting huge amounts of data regularly, even 11Mbs is ample, let alone the faster versions now available.
Christian.
P.S. I ran standard UTP on the outside of my parent's house about five years ago. North facing wall. Still works perfectly.

This would be ok for the PC - but my hardware print server would need a WIFI-Ethernet bridge. Not as cheap.

If I could do it with wireless for less than 40 quid I would probably go that route.

If you could *really* get 11Mbs (or 22, or 54 etc) then maybe. As you can't then I would really like the extra speed of wired. One thing that I keep saying I am going to play with is extracting video from my TiVo. If I start throwing video files around from the PC to the server upstairs then 100Mb would be v.handy! I have a wireless net for the laptop and it is great. Not convinced for desktops yet unless they move about a lot.

Good good. I think I will go with a single bit of UTP and a cheap switch. Ebuyer seem to have cheap 8port switches for 8 quid which seems insanely cheap!
Darren

Also check out uk.telecom - there have been several threads in the past 6 months or so on outdoor UTP cabling. For example: http://www.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th 12d19edf4ef52a&seekm=vpm62vkkog1aa5omt4io4okrss1lcpanq6%404ax.com#link1
Zane.