UTP loop outside house?

I'd still just use wifi. I had a similar issue with my desktop machine and just bought a USB wireless adapter. You can get them for a touch over 30 quid (the UTP will cost you for faceplates etc as well). My time is too valuable to start installing cables that just don't need to exist. I can also shift my machine easily when I need to. Unless you are shifting huge amounts of data regularly, even 11Mbs is ample, let alone the faster versions now available.

Christian.

P.S. I ran standard UTP on the outside of my parent's house about five years ago. North facing wall. Still works perfectly.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

This would be ok for the PC - but my hardware print server would need a WIFI-Ethernet bridge. Not as cheap.

If I could do it with wireless for less than 40 quid I would probably go that route.

If you could *really* get 11Mbs (or 22, or 54 etc) then maybe. As you can't then I would really like the extra speed of wired. One thing that I keep saying I am going to play with is extracting video from my TiVo. If I start throwing video files around from the PC to the server upstairs then 100Mb would be v.handy! I have a wireless net for the laptop and it is great. Not convinced for desktops yet unless they move about a lot.

Good good. I think I will go with a single bit of UTP and a cheap switch. Ebuyer seem to have cheap 8port switches for 8 quid which seems insanely cheap!

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Also check out uk.telecom - there have been several threads in the past 6 months or so on outdoor UTP cabling. For example:

abuse

East facing. Sun for part of the day.

I have a route that will mean that I can cabletie it to a downpipe for most of the route. That should give it enough protection for a couple of years I reckon.

Few storms. Never known a strike anywhere that near here in the 6 years we have been here.

Thats the way I see it. To be honest, not much of the kit is worth anything anyway - its old stuff that I have collected which does what I want. If I kill a P200 I won't be too disappointed (particulary as there is a fair chance that my TV, stereo etc will be dead by this point!)

Just what I thought. Cheers

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Still, if this is the Uni that I think you are talking about Bob talking about, then the lightening strike can't have been as bad as that year that a building with a lot of CAT5 in fell into that tunnel...

;-)

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

I think we may just be talking about the same Uni here :-)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

But since that was 1974, they were still using teletypes and Ethernet hadn't been invented....!

Reply to
Bob Eager