Utility Warehouse

Does anyone here use this company, or have any experiences, good or bad, with them? I see either people who swear by them, or people who hate them. I know nothing about them, but have been asked if I would like to join. I see them on the internet, and I see comments. I would like yours, if you have any. TIA.

Reply to
Davey

I've looked at 'em but they don't (or didn't when I checked) beat my current tarrifs for electricity.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They do all utilities: elec, gas, phone, mobile, broadband. They give discounts on the more you have. So, it is the bottom line that matters in all utility outgoings per month. That "bottom line figure" is the one you should be homing in on. These people put all on one bill by the month, so only one port of call, not dealing with 5 different companies - a great convenience for many. If that bottom line figure can be beaten by going to separate suppliers then fine.

You may have to do a spreadsheet to calculate it all in columns to assess properly.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I think they do 'network' marketing - in other words you get a payback if you manage to sell it to your friends/random people you find on the internet. Which may be a reason if you see a certain amount of fanboi-ism around. So you might take feedback with slightly more of a pinch of salt than you would otherwise.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Yes, I had thought of that aspect of it. They are supposed to have 4 or

5 years of 'Which?' credentials, which to me is a dubious qualification anyway. Thanks for thoughts.
Reply to
Davey

Ah, that wasn't obvious from what I read. And we have oil heating, so that would not be part of it. So that leaves 'phone, broadband, and electric. I want to stick with my ISP rather than go to somebody unknown, but the 'phone could change. I doubt if anybody can beat my =C2=A35 pm for an emergency-only mobile 'phone. Which means that my multi-use discount would be small. Thanks for the info.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

That is what they do. The more you have the more discount to lower your bottom line utilities each month. All is rolled into one bill.

Having oil may make matters different for you. But looking at their offerings and the "bottom line" is the first port of call. We have a load of utilities we have to pay each month, so getting the lowest deal on the best bottom line is the real objective. They may beat what you have now, but you have to look. You may have a great deal with one single utility supplier, but in the "bottom line" these may be the best. You just have to do your homework. Simple.

If you can have a better "bottom line" outgoings by using 5 separate suppliers and that is OK by you go for that.

The phone is then piggy-backing on BT. BT come to fix the lines. The broadband may be different from area to area, as it always is. So best to check what they are like in up time and speed in that. The mobile phone deals. It looked quite comprehensive so needs checking out. Mobile to mobile charges are what usually get hyped by some suppliers, so needs checking. They may have super cheap mobile deals and SIM only. I would be surprised if they do not. I believe they piggy-back onto T-Mobile, so service is not a problem.

I believe you are not locked into long contracts and can cancel by the month. Check it out. That sounds OK.

These companies use the main suppliers for the services, so quality of service should be fine. Not sure about broadband.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thanks for the info.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

And how much kick back do you get again?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Virtually any PAYG mobile will beat £5 pm for emergency-only use.

Reply to
Grumps

Does that matter? Assess them and if a good deal then its a good deal. That is for you to figure out. The info is all on the web site. A google will tell you if the service is any good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

My phone only cost =A310 and that included =A35 in calls. I spend *a lot* less than =A35 per month.

How many emergencies do you have each month?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I looked at Vodaphone, and the cheapest I could find was a =C2=A330 phone, with a =C2=A326 pm plan. Which is way more than =C2=A35 pm.

O2 has a refurbished Samsung, that costs =C2=A31.90, but requires a =C2=A310 top-up.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Hint: that's not PAYG.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I followed the path again, and got as far as a Vodaphone for =C2=A320, and a PAYG plan, but when I tried to follow the plan's link, I got an 'Invalid Security Certificate - Danger!' warning. But I agree, it can be done cheaper than my current scheme. Thanks.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

=C2=A312 PCM is cheaper than =C2=A35 pm? But, as I said elsewhere, I realis= e that prices are now cheap, certainly more than they were a year ago.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

PAYG for not very much at all has been around for a few years. My first phone was 30 quid including 10 quid credit, 2007-ish.

Reply to
Clive George

Nope.

Nope, historical. When we moved here, 13 years ago ISDN was the only way to get a reliable "fast" (64kbps, never bothered trying to use both channels and anyway wanted to keep one free for voice) internet connection. POTS dialup might manage 30 or 40kbps, but with long call setup times. ISDN was more or less instant setup and connection so that you could use it "on demand".

I really ought to look at down grading to business POTS, ISDN if fing expensive.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I downgraded to a single domestic POTS, ADSL2 and threw VOIP on top for the second line.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why ever not?. They sorted Two ADSL services where the original ISP blamed BT and vice versa. One thing I do like is when you ring them up the bloody phone is answered pronto and the call centre is in a furrign bit of the UK;!...

So why are you keeping it then?. The POTS brings the ADSL you have so ?..

Reply to
tony sayer