using your own domain with BT webmail...

They're not run by anyone, they're themselves. They're an Australian company though servers are in the US & Iceland. ALL they do is email. See:

&

They were an independent company bought out by Opera (as in the browser) a few years ago, who then bought themselves out of Opera again.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

You missunderstand. The new service can still have web mail as it's end user access method but the mail it shows arrives via possibly three methods:

1) Normal email addressed to snipped-for-privacy@new.webmail.service. 2) Via a forward from the BT internet address. Mail addressed to snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com goes to BTInternet that then automatically forwards it to snipped-for-privacy@new.webmail.service. 3) The new webmail service is setup to pull email from BT Internet at a regular interval.

This is messy IMHO like 3) above and doesn't test that he his happy with the new webmail service for when you finally junk BT.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yiou still misunderstand. I wanty him to stay with what he klnows. BTs webmail interface, but switch to a NEW address..

sheesh

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hardly "sheesh" -

Is this what you are thinking of:

with a custom personal domain?

Well, if so, unless you can put more than one domain onto a single account, the other solution is to set him up with a new Yahoo email account with the new domain (which is the same interface as what he has now), and set a forward rule on the old one.

If BT really do use Yahoo, I would keep away from BT from the new account and set it up directly with Yahoo - thus breaking all dependencies on BT.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, the only way he can access the webmail interface is if he's a BT customer. He could just pay for the BT mail when he drops them as an ISP. This is what I did when I switched from BT to Zen. At the time, it cost about £1.50 pcm. When I returned to BT, the charge was dropped.

In the Advanced Options there is Mail Accounts, which gives the choice of adding accounts from "other email services" so that mail can be sent and received.

HTH

Reply to
Richard

Exactly. Step (i) is to get his counterparties used to his 'new' address.

Step (ii) is to get him to use a proper email system

Step (iii) is to dump (on) BT...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, unfortunate naming. I was thinking of FastHosts, they definately are a heap of poo, for anything they do.

FastMail not associated with FastHosts I know nothing about and with draw my comment about them.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was under the impression that junking BT was the ultimate aim in about 12 months time.

Yep from the OP:

"The idea is to achieve independence from BT over the course of a year in case he can be persuaded to dump them..."

Meh, I guess but doesn't fit with "independence from BT" ...

Still think it would be better to do the user interface change now and have both systems effectively running in parallel, all be it with BT forwarding to the new interface. Switching user interface when BT gets dumped is asking for mail to get dropped on the floor or lots of agro 'cause the new interface isn't liked.

Set up the new interface now it can be tried, liked/disliked/changed with little risk to mail being dropped on the floor.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice