Using the gas cooker to heat the house...

Yes, because of the insulation on the bed. Now insulate the house to have the same heat transmission and it will be as warm. You may not be able too without adding more insulation than you want to add but it will work.

Reply to
dennis

"ARWadsworth" wrote in news:DYpeo.132927$S46.120437@hurricane:

The older part of the house (built 1850) has a fireplace in the lounge, but unfortunately the chimney breast ends at loft-floor level. So, I imagine I'd have to get some sort of flue liner installed, going right up and out through the roof. Possibly not beyond my DIY capapbilities. What kind of fuel did you have in mind?

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Tabby wrote in news:cfa3b37e-bfb0-4037-a997- snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

of looking for a wood-burning stove of some kind. I have just recently taken advantage of an offer on loft insulation and installed 170mm of rock wool to the loft. It only cost me £30, so it seemed like a sensible investment.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

"Robin" wrote in news:ICreo.27374$bD2.24728@hurricane:

Thanks for the info on modern gas cookers and other suggestions. Underblankets are nice for keeping warm in bed. There is also a much cheaper way of keeping warm in bed: using four 15-tog duvets (three on top and one underneath)! I kept comfortable that way once, even when temps dropped to minus 6 degrees.

It's keeping the house warm enough for comfort during the daytime and evenings that I'm mainly concerned about. Sealing all the windows will be one measure I should probably take. Eliminating drafts is important, I think.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Nitro® wrote in news:9creo.48484$3F1.9449@hurricane:

Hi, TF3 is Telford, I think? No that's way to far away, but thanks. In any case, I'm hoping to not to have to resort to electrical heating, as I am under the impression it would be too expensive. I may be wrong about that, especially considering that one can quickly warm up individual rooms with a good fan heater (the room that one is currently using)...

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Djornsk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Thanks - yes, I have just installed loft insulation, after seeing a 3 - for one offer. I installed 170mm of rock wool.

Thanks for this suggestion. No, I haven't considered those - because I was unaware such things existed! I must investigate... If anyone has any firther advice on these, I'd welcome it.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Two or three hot-water bottles work pretty well, too.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Bernard Peek wrote in news:4c7a57ad$0$28006$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

Thanks for your suggestions. The fan idea seems worth noting.

Storage heaters - I've never considered them; I've always thought of them as expensive and rather innefective during the evenings, when they are most needed. The only one I've ever used was a rather old (probably

1970's vintage). It was rather ineffective. I ended up dismantling it and using the internal tiles for a paving job outside!

I expect modern ones are better, and probably worth thinking about...

Al

Reply to
AL_z

"js.b1" wrote in news:0aa01e68-d718-428a-95b1- snipped-for-privacy@h19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the ideas. I've just done the loft (170mm rockwool).

It's do-able, as I do have a fireplace in the lounge.

Half of my house has cavity walls with a 1.5" sheet of foam polystyrene in the cavity. The other half has solid stone walls (built in 1850).

Good advice. I kept warm through last winter using duvets (three on top and one underneath!) and warm clothes. I was living in a van, while looking for a house. The hot water bottle was a good invention.

That sounds very interesting.

Thanks again for your helpful interesting input.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

S Viemeister wrote in news:8dvqfvFl8bU1 @mid.individual.net:

That's a good idea which I've never considered before.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

need fixing on an external wall as the flue goes straight through the wall. The plumbnation pages have links to the user and installer guide.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yebbut the bit of nose that emerges gets rather cold.

Couple of cats are very effective, especially if you can persuade them to come under the duvet with you. I'm not sure how cost-effective they are though, in terms of calorific value of Whiskas and the conversion effiency.

Please be very careful about eliminating ventilation if you are heating the house with the cooker or any other gas appliance that is not room-sealed / balanced flue.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember MM saying something like:

Bollocks. Have you ever lived in a super-insulated house?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Insulation, insulation, insulation. And draughtproofing. Cheaper than heating and works better too - you get a more evenly warm house, rather than one that's hot and cold in spots. Spend some time sorting out draughts around doors and windows. Install secondary double glazing, either plastic sheet in a simple wooden frame, or even the stuck on flexible plastic sheet. Either the re-usable plastic sheet or the one-season "cling film" that you tension with a hairdryer afterwards is worth the trouble. Loft insulation is a messy, but easy, job.

You might also shrink the house a bit. If there's a spare bedroom you aren't using, not only insulate that to the outside, but also close its door and tape the gaps shut. Draught proof the door of the main living room and keep it closed when you're in there. It's not too difficult or expensive to heat a single room, certainly not compared to a house. Let the bedrooms go cold (this is just how things were, back when I was a kid) and keep the bed warm with a good duvet and wearing something in bed. A good dressing gown is an encouragement to getting out of it.

I doubt if the gas cooker is terribly effective as a heating appliance, and it certainly won't be cheap.

Your best bet is probably to try and address personal comfort vs. house temperature, rather than trying to raise the temperature so much. Dress warmly. Don't expect to be wearing just shirtsleeves in the depths of winter, even indoors. Also try to get one room comfortable, at the cost of the others, rather than trying to heat the whole house as you'd like and not really achieving it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Wood if you can scavenge for it. Or buying a bag of coal for the very cold days.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Never underestimate the joy of socks! They keep you warm in bed and avoid the shock of bare feet on a cold floor in the morning. A woolly hat isn't the sexiest nightware but it will keep your head warm.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Yeah, I remember staying with some friends for a while when I was in NZ, and their cat would burrow under the duvet at night and curl up next to me.

Dogs make great little portable heaters during the day, too - one for the lap and one for the feet (we've got a big place with heating that's not really up to the job, and it often hits -30 here during deep winter)

I've not yet found a solution to keep my hands warm but still allow me to do stuff, though. Typing with gloves on doesn't really work :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

a recommendation for that web site BTW)

Albert Steptoe

Reply to
Andy Champ

Owain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t2g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

That's true. The only uncomfortable bit was breathing the freezing air.

Avoid vindaloo for supper, or they will never be persuaded again!

I'm not sure how cost-effective they

I wondered about that. I wonder if one could easily make a standard 3-bed house airtight to the extent that the carbon monoxide from a gas cooker would be a hazard... maybe if you had all four rings and the oven going at once; I don't know.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Andy Dingley wrote in news:b1450c88-c307-41c5- snipped-for-privacy@f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

That's a really good idea - thanks - and thanks for the other good suggestions.

Al

Reply to
AL_z