Using surplus building sand

I have two tons of building sand left over from a building project. I am about to lay some brick edgings for a gravel driveway and wondered if I could use the building sand as opposed to sharp sand to set the bricks into. I wasn't thinking of a dry mix as this would wash away but using a stronger wet mix (say 3:1 sand:cement) on a hardcore base to set the bricks in. Would this be acceptable or would I need to strengthen the mix with say gravel?

Reply to
paul

It's building sand, IE It's what is used for building with, sharp sand is not usually used for bricklaying, it's for concrete and for laying flags / block paving etc on.

3:1 is a bit strong IMV, try 4 or 5:1
Reply to
Phil L

The only difference in the sand is that the brick sand is smaller particles. A little smal sized gravel would expand the amount you would get at the same strength for the same amount of cement.

The surface area of small particulate is much much greater than the surface area of coarse particulate. And it is the surface coating with cement that makes it bind.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I know, and grit sand sets rock hard too, but for bricklaying it's not smooth enough for pointing, nor attractive when set, IMV anyway, YMMV etc :-p

Reply to
Phil L

NT

Reply to