Using Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler

This would appear to contradict Steve's assertion that the resin requires the pea size to cure.

Reply to
stuart noble

Perhaps you can provide a reference to the post in which you think I made such a comment?

Reply to
Steve Firth

That is exactly what I suspect.

Never let relatives "flash the pressure washer" at windows to clear dirt sprayup, the pressure opens any gap between putty & glass right to the wood creating a water pocket. Obviously such cracked putty should be replaced, which is best done as a program of replacement rather than "patch or fix when you find it" :-)

USA do offer flexible epoxy,

for example although 1/2 gallon quantities are more suited to timber buildings. I have met the old structural epoxy, it makes 50yr old foundation concrete look like Chamberlain.

Reply to
js.b1

No it doesn't, in normal temperatures the pea size is correct, I merely pointed out the amount required in differing temperatures from either extreme.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

It will cure *eventually* with *any* amount of catalyst, providing this is *evenly* distributed through the resin. That's my experience anyway, and I have never had reason to doubt the strength of the cured resin. Too much hardener, however, is known to weaken the end result.

Reply to
stuart noble

That's not my experience. I have mixed up test batches of filer with varying amounts of catalyst. When the quantity of catalyst is below 30% of the manufacturer's recommendation the filler never sets properly and remains "cheesy" in consistency. It's best to stick to the recommended ratios.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Below 30% is perhaps pushing it, if only because it becomes impossible to ensure uniform dispersal. In the one I'm using at the moment the red catalyst turns the grey resin brown so it's easy to tell whether you have uniformity. In practice there's no reason to skimp on the catalyst, but its useful to know that there's an awful lot of leeway.

Reply to
stuart noble

Be aware the same is NOT true of epoxy. Here there is no resin catalyst: there are two components that must be mixed in the correct ratios, and mixed thoroughly, or the resin will not set properly, ever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher