Using Protimeter MMS

Hi all

Not quite DIY but.. I have a problem with damp in solid concrete floor and so far 2 surveying companies have been round to check the floor slab moisture level. I "think" that they both used the Protimeter MMS device (pretty sure the second one did looking at web pics). The second one claimed that the hand set should be held at an angle to the floor when taking a reading. The first surveyor simply laid the device flat on the floor. The readings obtained by the two methods were vastly different. As a result, the first surveyor said the whole ground floor was damp, which I believe is correct from visual evidence (also the first guy had loads of high tech gear which he seemed proficient with). The second surveyor said that the majority of the ground floor was within normal moisture limits

Reply to
TheScullster

Is this the instrument?

"The instrument can now be used to take relative moisture readings in solid, homogenous materials (such as walls and floors) by holding the leading edge of the sensor bulge against the surface (see the figure below) at an angle ranging from 20° to 50°."

Baz

Reply to
Baz

"Baz" wrote

Brilliant - thanks Baz Looks like the guy visiting recently was using the device correctly. Looking at the general spec though, the depth of penetration for measurement is only 15mm. So the drying/dehumidifying process may easily achieve this in a short space of time, only for the damp to soak back up through the slab from below.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Take a piece of clear plastic about 12" square and tape edges to floor, if condensation appears in 24 hrs you have excessive moisture. Moisture meters here in the US 2 probe cost about US 30$ and way up.

Reply to
ransley

Dear Baz Ransley has it dead right. Forget the meter readings. Measure the water. there is a BS on this as far as I remember. A meter is an indicator of a potential problem and it is the assessment of the expert on the readings that is important Most are not sufficently expert!

Classics for walls and dpc companies are those that use resistance probes in foil backed plaster board and recommend a dpc Chris

Reply to
mail