Using printer paper for wallpaper

Have a rather *out of the way* corner, where the wallpaper needs some repair. The finish on there at the moment is an emulsion paint on top of wall paper.

I have some proper wallpaper paste and since I only need a small area repaired (about 12 inches by 12 inches) is there any reason not to use a piece of ordinary printer copy-paper to stick on there? Thanks.

Reply to
P Jameson

It is usually a good idea to save an end of roll of original wallpaper so that you can patch up any minor damage from wear and tear.

You would probably get better results by finding a similar wallpaper in a shop and tearing off a pattern sample to take home and use.

Reply to
Martin Brown

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ thanks i dont have any end of roll. also its a plain white colour.

is there any reason not to use a piece of ordinary printer copy-paper to stick on there?

Reply to
P Jameson

Not if it is big enough. It is likely to be rather thinner than the current paper. I'd probably be using lining paper (but I have that in stock).

Reply to
newshound

It may go yellow at a different rate to what's already there.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Well, probably not but its gonna bubble. Surely the edges are going to show rather, you really need a piece as tall as the room. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mainly that it won't be the right thickness or have the right wet strength to stand up to being pasted and put on the wall.

Why not just get a free sample of something close enough from B&Q ?

Samples tend to be a roll width x pattern pitch - more than enough.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Most paper expands and buckles when wet. Wallpaper, lining paper and watercolour paper are the 3 I know of that dont. So no.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

From experience all of the above expand and buckle when wet..but it doesn't matter, because the shrink when dry..

actually brown parcel paper is pretty good. I've used that over a polystyrene 'thing' I carved to hide some water pipe.

Or even newspaper.. Although hiding the writing takes a lot of paint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher