using polyfilla around a rawlplug

ribbed for her pleasure....?

Reply to
Steve Walker

*very* different

They're the same thing over here, napkin or serviette. The former would usually be cloth, the latter paper.

Are you possible thinking of an intimate feminine use? In that case, it's you in the US who call them sanitary napkins, we call them sanitary towels. I can't think of any other meaing for napkin.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

*very* different

The term is obsolete, and has been superceded by it's contraction; "nappy".

Reply to
Huge

I believe the phrase "keep your pecker up", which in England is meant to extol people to be cheerful in the face of adversity, has a very embarrassing meaning in the States.

A few years ago we took a train trip across Canada and fell in with a group of Americans. By the end of the trip I had them calling the railroad: the railway, switches: points and ties: sleepers. Oh and the engineer was the engine driver.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

And Americans drive on the parkway whereas we park on the driveway.

Reply to
Bruce

I got a reprimand for saying that 'the law is an ass' on one US forum.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Keeping one's pecker up would be embarrassing if it's publicly visible, I guess, but in private, it would likely be a source of pride to the pecker's owner.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Except on the Garden State Parkway, where you're actually parked, just wishing you were driving.

Reply to
Goedjn

Sounds very much like the M25 around London - often referred to as largest car park in the UK

Reply to
Bruce

Unless you're in Boston (bah-stun), in which case the generic word is tonic (tah-nik). Don't ask me why. At least that's how it was 30 years ago when I lived there.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

I live very close to the busiest bit of the M25 (Surrey/Heathrow section) and we refer to it as a rotary car park.

Having said that, my wife and I drove from New Hampshire to JFK Airport in New York in the summer and the last 10 miles made the M25 look like Brands Hatch or Silverstone. It took 3 hours and we were told that that is perfectly normal on a Sunday.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Makes me quite glad to be up here where the only "hectic" time is when the ferry is due to arrive. Sometimes there are as many as 7 or 8 cars waiting in the queue.

Reply to
Bruce

And when I was in Boston this summer, every time I asked for Scotch and Tonic they gave me Scotch and Soda (which I dislike intensely).

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

When I returnee from Johannesburg with a Girlfriend in tow..she went into the pub and asked for a Gin and Tonic "And can you put a little arse in that?"

Strange looks all round.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yiss. Nahdays all the pubs are full of people from Jo'burg - usuallee working behand the bah and asking which kahnd of stahch yoo want with your lunch. Is it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Another Dave