Using Lightbulbs in Enclosed Fittings

I have two lights on the ceiling of my bathroom and I have been using GE 60 watt ES bulbs that Screwfix used to sell at 10 bulbs for peanuts but they no longer sell them .

I added two bulbs to a Tesco order today and two of them were GE Energy Saving 11watt /60 watt equivalent at £1.68 each . Looking at the box it says " not to be used in enclosed fittings" so I just stuck in two 60 watt candle bulbs that I got as well.

these Low Energy bulbs give off more heat than normal bulbs ..surely not ..so why are they not recommended for enclosed fitings .

Reply to
Stuart B

The complicated bits don't cope with the heat. There may be less of it, but it still gets warm in there.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

So just stick to El Cheapos then .

Reply to
Stuart B

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:21:35 +0100 someone who may be Stuart B wrote this:-

I have used energy saving bulbs in enclosed fittings, some for decades, without any failing yet.

No doubt they will fail sometime, but I have yet to notice a problem.

Reply to
David Hansen

No, and they don't give out the light that the manufacturers claim either. An 11W bulb gives an output somwhere between that of a 25W and

40W bulb. And since they take forver to warm up the advantage of lower consumption is eroded by the need to leave them on unless one likes banging into things in the dark.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Oooh Matron !!!

Reply to
Stuart B

In the bathroom in our old house I had 15W screwfix spiral CFLs in "globe" enclosed fittings. Definately brighter than 60W incandescents that were all the fittings were rated to.

1 bulb lasted a few months, but the other was still going strong 2 years later as was the replacement for the one that blew.
Reply to
Chris Hodges