Using Immersun with PV Solar

You bought a third party guarantee, as opposed to the guarantee that comes with the hardware?

No the contract comes with a full 25 yr warranty ... h/w covered by manufacturers but also with funds held in an independent account (like escrow) so should supplier go bust you still have the 25yr warranty.

Reply to
rick

You are getting your cut ... just you are deciding not to take the Government up on it ... was open to all.

Reply to
rick

How is that then? It feels like I'm paying for your cut?

Like I didn't when they sold off public owned utilities you mean? What if I simply didn't have the funds or suitable roof? Hardly my decision in those cases eh?

Like the above? So, if you had the money you bought shares in something that belonged to everyone then sold them on for a profit (not sharing that profit with *everyone* who actually owned the things in the first place)? That sounds fair (not). ;-(

I'm not saying it's illegal but I'm not sure its moral either. (along with the 'right to buy' your rented Council house for a fraction of it's value when there is insufficient public housing available?

I'm sure many can sleep well with all that ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

87% No.

87% of what you got originally I'd believe. The record is under 50%.

But that doesn't matter. What matters is the watts you get for the pounds you spent. Right now that'll be ... zero. It's dark. Tomorrow probably 3/5 of f-all too, as the weather is poor. And when you do make money it's coming from people like me.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Not just you of course, it's coming from the vast majority who don't have PV solar > FIT.

So, assuming we all do have to subsidise most (all?) energy producers to some degree, at least we are ALL doing so and we can get most of that non-eco_energy 24/7.

FIT is like having a petrol station where if you can afford one of the 'special cars', your petrol gets paid for (by us apparently) when you drive it, even if you are just driving it for yourself and your petrol station doesn't work when the sun isn't shining so we can't use it either (not that we can afford to at your prices).

So, your petrol station can't be relied on by us (or you for that matter, so you still have to use all the others) and we are worse off because of it, especially is the sun is shining! ;-(

If it wasn't for the fact that most people aren't interested in sticking solar panels on their roof, and / or know what the FIT burden is, I think there would be an uprising!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No it's 87% of the efficiency based on the test data of a new panel.

Not sure if you are just terminally pessimistic .... my array as I type this is pushing out 968W on a grey overcast day.

This month so far it has generated 60.65kWh (5 days) When it earns money its coming from the Government, if you class that as 'you' then it is also from 'me'

If you choose not to take up the 'payback' offer that is a personal thing for you.

It's like any Government fund/subsidy/allowance - if you are eligible and don't take it, then that is your choice.

Reply to
rick

Government makes a system available to all, to encourage use of renewables - I have no moral issue with that.

In the same way they give you a financial incentive to have low emissions on your car.

In both cases you have the choice to take up the incentive or not.

Those that do so, can do it for tree hugging, knit your own yoghurt reasons, or simply as it makes financial sense ... either way it helps the government meet the environment. Lowers emissions and makes for healthier environment.

So can I sleep happy with that? ......... absolutely.

Reply to
rick

Robin Hood in reverse: robbing the poor to give to the rich.

Reply to
newshound

AS soon as I finished sending previous mail .. checked again .. now at

2.48kWh ....... that is a lot better than 3/5 of f-all

rick

url .. corrected -

rick

It comes from other electricity users. I class it as theft, personally.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh dear

Reply to
tabbypurr

And that's the rub isn't it, I wonder how many of those people enjoying the extortionate FIT payments (especially those who took it up at the beginning and what, it's *guaranteed* for 25 years!!) actually believe it's 'the Government' (via our taxes presumably in any case) are paying for all this and not just other electricity consumers?

Buy a PV system and put it on your roof (fine). Get someone else to put a PV system on your roof and rent the space to them, and maybe get a cut of any surplus energy sold (also fine). Get paid for any surplus energy the system produces but not at a rate way above the industrial rate and not subsidised by other electricity consumers. [1]

I wonder if once they realise that they might go a bit quieter (as most people stealing from others like that surely should)?

I'm not *blaming* them exactly, after all, it was offered to them and it's not illegal (even if it's immoral) but I wonder if they really are confused just why others haven't taken it up (or are just pretending they don't know because they are embarrassed)?

Cheers, T i m

[1] I wonder if all electricity consumers were sent a poll asking if they want to opt IN to the FIT subsidy scheme (con), how many (without panels on their roof) would tick 'Yes'?
Reply to
T i m

Ok in principal but ...

Ok, well that may say more about you ... (under the (FIT) circumstances etc). ;-(

I do? Ok, supposing I do, how many of us drive or need goods and services that require others to drive? How would I be worse off if you took your panels off your roof?

No I don't, I may not have had *the choice* if I didn't have the funds or didn't have a suitable size / aspect roof.

Yes, and all that is fine if it *didn't penalise innocent and already overburdened electricity consumers* with the disproportional high price you get paid to save *yourself* money.

When the sun is shining you mean? When it's not, what do we all do?

Ok, I'll cut you a deal. You rely *only* on your solar system to meet your electricity needs and you can keep your (my / our) FIT subsidy. Deal? ;-)

Oh, and as for 'emissions'. Do the panels I don't have create more emissions than the ones you do? Or were yours produced, transported, installed and maintained by small furry creatures that just run on fresh air? How long will it take for that carbon footprint to be neutralised do you know OOI? (And I hope you do know or how could you possibly defend the green credentials)?

For you to be really honest about all this you would have to fess up the *total* cost and benefits to the eco-system *for everyone* (as you are so keen on thinking of us all). ;-)

Now, if you had a water wheel generating electricity ... and you had bought a paid for it yourself and it was made out of low carbon footprint materials and fully recyclable ... and you paid for it all yourself .... and you only got the std rate for any spare electricity and it didn't affect the water course downstream, I'd be the first one to applaud you for your efforts. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I have had a full road-going plug in electric car for over 25 years and I have *never* tried to sell it as a benefit to the environment (outside of reducing kerbside emissions possibly) and I certainly didn't buy it knowing that others were going to have to subsidise my 'hobby' or with the intention of making money (off others) from it.

Reply to
T i m

Brace yourself for this, T i m

Air pollution would be 0.0000000001% worse.

Imagine that, eh?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Er no FIT monies are coming from levy on everyones elctricity bill, a levy that is about 10% IIRC but it's not all for the FIT payments.

The RHI comes from central government but they have fiddled with that to exclude any solar thermal system that does anything but domestic hot water.

Most funds/subsidy/allowances etc available to the general public don't require you to come up with a fairly substantial up front sum. For a significant number of households that sum would be a years gross income...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wonder if you apply similar logic to enjoying things funded by the lottery without ever buying a ticket?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The recipients of such funding you mean? If so then no, because anyone using their free will to subsidise the system by buying a ticket has done so knowing full well what the options were and have possibly done so, knowing some (hopefully) *good cause* will enjoy the cash, even if they don't win.

Simply because I am an electricity consumer I am *forced* to subsidise those who already have the money and opportunity (suitable aspect roof and / or a roof of their own etc) via the FIT and really can't bring myself to give a big thumbs up to those who are benefiting. ;-(

I just the same way I support charities (even though some are more like companies) because *I* choose to using my own free will and am happy that (also) potentially people(or animals) less fortunate than I might benefit.

It is really all about having the choice and I bet not just for me.

I wonder if you put a poll on everyone's next electricity bill, explaining the true value of PV energy in a country like England, the

*total* cost to the environment (mining the raw materials, forming them into panels, distributing, installing and maintaining said (some of which will be done with diesel lorries and vans presumably) equipment, the fact that it's no good when the sun goes in (and it does that every day) and then *we*, the electricity users who don't have the opportunity or simply choose not to go out and get panels on our roof, have to subsidise those who do ... I wonder what percentage would tick 'No thanks'?

Now, drop all the eco BS and just earn the going rate for any surplus electricity you have (and certainly not get paid for what you generate and use yourself!) and those with, wouldn't need to be trying to justify how reasonable it all is to those without.

If the idea of solar PV was really *that good*, for the environment or even / just financially to those who could afford and had the opportunity to install it, surely it would be on many many more houses in the UK than the few you see it on today?

OOI. What percentage of the UKs electrical demands is med by domestic PV? How much of it's demand is met at night?

Don't get me wrong, I have a fair selection of solar panels and solar powered / charged devices and find them very handy when I'm off grid (motorcycle / cycle camping etc) or where I want a small outdoor light without having to run any cables, however, I *certainly* wouldn't to try to say they were completely 'green' or expect anyone else to subsidise them for me.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'd have to as I don't suppose it could be measured. ;-)

But what about all the other pollution (not just airborne) generated by the creation of the panels and associated equipment in the first place?

What I'm saying is that pollution might be acceptable (as in a cost to mankind), *IF* the solution it provided was truly, 'stand on yer own two feet' viable as a solution.

Solar PV is hardly new yet I see / saw no massive uptake, even with the initial criminal levels of FIT? Maybe Apple could market Solar PV in the UK. They can get people to buy all sorts of stuff and at full price. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m