Using BT's public wi fi network

I am away from home at present, and, turning on the laptop, could not find any free wi fi access, but did find the BT wi fi-with-FON, so have paid, and it is working.

Avast went ballistic, and offered to protect me from a public network, but at a price, of course.

Without being paranoid, is there anything I should worry about, or any particular action I should take on this laptop (W7) whilst using the BT wi fi service?

Reply to
News

Personally, I'd not see any difference as long as its just a normal home system with spare capacity being used by others. No direct connection is used to the person with that router after all. The people who I've heard of who get stuff is because, for example, there is a router pretending to be the one, say at a cafe, and it has been directly engineered to snoop and send nasties to anyone logging in.

If it was really dangerous the two main players would not be plugging the service surely? The issue I haave had with it is slow speeds, and in some cases apparently no connectivity past the router itself, no doubt due to somebody doing something daft.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you buy and install a FON Fonera router at home you get FON access everywhere for free. The Fonera costs about 40 Euros if I remember right. So if this is a long term requirement it's worth doing.

('Everywhere' includes SFR WiFi hotspots in France which is why I have a Fonera installed at home)

Reply to
cl

I don't get it - £5 for a single hour of use seem rediculously expensive when for that same amount I can buy a 3 sim card with 1Gb /

30 days access.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not everyone wants to play "SIM card musical chairs" when abroad. The Fonera hotspot device is a one-off charge sand gives you indefinite access.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I use it a great deal with my PAYG mobile phone. Not had any problems I'm aware of.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately Fon stopped selling the Fonera in November only way to sign u p is now transfer to BT.

Fonera+ here is causing some issues here with extending it to another route r, but thats` another topic...

Otherwise Fon has been a massive money saver for me over last few years.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Tim+ a écrit :

Have you a link for the device?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

I spent some time on the Fon website and nowhere can I find where you can purchase the Fon router. Assuming it is available, they've hidden it well.

That website is a mess, too. All fur coat and no knickers.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That 40 Euros gives you access for ever with no other payment (as long as FON survives of course).

Reply to
cl

Yes, quite right, I believe it's hidden if you're in the UK. You

*can* buy a Fonera though.

Try going to shop.fon.com, you can buy "fonera for business", 49 Euros.

Reply to
cl

But if you click on the FAQ you get

"The manufacture and sale of Foneras has been discontinued since 2015.

The only available alternative to enjoy all the benefits of the Fon Community as a sharing member is to subscribe directly to any of our telco partners. They are listed by countries at this page."

There are some on Amazon but I don't know whether the past contract would be valid with a new account.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

FWIW, the new Fonera registration site is still up which *might* indicate that you can still register a new Fonera if you can get one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oops, Amazon.com and some of them are older devices that other folk haven't been able to register.

This is the same model I have.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oh what a pity! I'm glad I bought mine a while ago then.

... and cost way more!

Yes, I'm not sure about that either.

Reply to
cl

OK, thanks. At present, I am staying in my Mother's flat for a few days, and, having fired up the laptop, found this 'hot spot' to which I can connect for a fee, and it seems to be working well. My question really, is should I be worrying about any aspect of security, over and above my normal home system?

Reply to
News

Tim+ a écrit :

I believe it uses wifi, which is extremely short range, so for my use whilst away from home, often out in the sticks, a SIM works much, much better.

I'm at home, in a semi built up/ rural village and I checked my tablet for wifi signals yesterday - it was reporting 10, one of which is FON with a very weak signal level.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Which is why we use an external wifi aerial system and signal booster in our motor home.

I'd agree that it's not such a useful option without such a set-up.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Did you buy the access here? :

If so, I'd say you're pretty safe.

Reply to
Richard

In message , Richard writes

OK, thanks. Yes, it is a BT service, apparently available via John Lewis and other places. No idea where I am picking it up from, although there is a Waitrose not too far away.

Reply to
News