using an audio tape splicer

Just bought an audio tape splicer kit and not sure how to use it! The cutting etc is ok but they supply 2 differnt splicing tapes: 1 is adhesive - the other is a roll of clear non-adhesive. What is this latter one for? Thanks

Reply to
dave

Ah I see - thanks.

Reply to
dave

The non adhesive is leader tape for the start and finish of the tapes. You should not put the ferrous tape into the reel threader, so you join a piece of the clear tape to go there.

HTH

Reply to
EricP

Some video tapes have a clear leader (VHS) so the machine can detect the start/end of the tape.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

sPoNiX

The clear is for the ends OR for a break between tracks, so that the machine (not all) or even using your eye can go to the track change point. This was not common in domestic machines.

When I was young you had to remove the ferrite coating and use a special adhesive on the ends of the tape, that way you got an almost imperceptible bump at the join.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I used to have a combined video/reel splicer that came with 1/2" clear tape for VHS and 1/2" foil tape for Betamax. it didn't come with any

1/4" leader as that was easier to come by.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

I still have a huge reel to reel deck somewhere and some old tape rushes that were being chucked out. Now you have reminded me I'll have to did 'em out. sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

"ADUIO TAPE" lol! What -is- the literate world coming to?

Reply to
Jim Gregory

Can you still easily get single sided razor blades though?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Canford or Studiospares usually stock them

Reply to
Roly

Recently a head teacher told me that spelling no longer mattered, I had to laugh at him, after all without good spelling how can you find anything on the internet? and of course if misspelt then your item may never be found.

When searching on ebay it is often worth searching for common misspellings, as they get less bids !

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Misspellings are great fun when using predictive text on a mobil 'phone - except when you are in a hurry of course! :-)

Reply to
dave

I wonder how Opera copes when you ask it to read them.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Quite apt really as tape editing was often known as ape dieting. Try cutting the actual words on tape to make the latter...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can but they are expensive and not of as good quality as once. It's worth looking in pound stores etc for a sort of folding knife that takes ordinary razor blades.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So those who cannot spell are rewarded with better bargains? Sounds like the head was right. ;-(((

Reply to
John Cartmell

Scalpel handles and blades are readily available from artists materials shops.

Reply to
Huge

s/less/fewer

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I don't imagine they'd be brilliant for splicing though - you really want a straight blade that's the width of the splicing block.

Reply to
Rob Morley