User interface, WTF

OTOH, go to as it might be some big town on the coast in Suffolk, try to get a ticket at the car park, it wants you to enter the 3 digits from your number plate. /How/ long is it since the number plate format changed?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ours asks for gender and day, month from DoB. That's usually enough, although it defeated today's wally.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I went into my doctors surgery last Saturday at 8:30am, on the touch screen I touched the entry for male, day of birth, month of birth and confirmed my initials, postcode and my appointment time. At 8:32am I left the surgery having had a flu jab.

Reply to
alan

The 90 mins was to see the doctor after I'd spent 25.77 secs working the touch screen to register my arrival.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Never mind the change, the old format and the ones before that could have 1, 2 or 3 digits.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I get along quite happily with most touchpads as well as trackpoint or mouse. Where a touhpad is erratic, I've often installed a Synaptics (not Symantec) driver, which can often enable all sorts of advanced features such as no taps while typing and so on.

It's horses for courses. Often there's no room for a mouse.

Reply to
Bill

En el artículo , alan escribió:

+1.

If I accept early/late appointments I get seem almost immediately. Our local surgery is open 8am - 8pm.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

They did that (and put up postal charges) to make it viable to sell off. Our village PO has recently gone. It costs twice as much to send a parcel from the UK to USA as vice versa.

Reply to
harryagain

A car park near me was retrofitted with occupancy detectors above every space, with indicators: red = occupied, green = free, plus direction arrows to send you towards vacant spaces.

It worked for a few weeks, during which it was actually quite useful, and has been turned off ever since.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

There's a simple solution to the surgery/clinic touchscreens though, give u s all an NHS card with a barcode. Arrive for appointment, swipe barcode, wa it. If you can't manage that or need something else, queue and wait. 'Cours e it would require a report and the cost would run into millions, but what can you do?

Reply to
greyridersalso

If you are illiterate and would like help... on a poster.

Reply to
PeterC

Nationwide's ATMs always get me. For some reason the screen doesn't always work for me (it does for the people in fron and behind, so it must be the others). There seems to be no reaction so I try again, then it goes straigh from "cash with receipt" to paying out the amount in line with that choice because I've touched it twice. The only saving grace is that it's the amount I always have.

Reply to
PeterC

90 min wait to see your GP? Find a better GP! Or do they run a "first come, first served" surgery and let you choose which Dr you see, so they have one (popular) Dr seeing everyone and three others sat not seeing anyone? Our GPs have appointment based surgerys, which they are pretty good at keeping to.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A decent sequential menu system ought to ask for month first then date, even if it's so it doesn't have to have another menu/screen to deal with invalid month/date combinations. Ideally it would ask for year first, then month, so it can give 29 as a choice for February if required.

If it does ask for date then month I certainly would try it on a "short date" month.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Train toilets now have Braille labels to identify the various push buttons. I'm not quite sure how they cope with "press to lock when illuminated"

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I'd phoned up at 08.30 and 0.00001 secs as they suggest, to get a timed slot. But everything was that late, for some reason. There was, however, a constant stream of people (doddering old fossils, mostly), turning up for flu jabs. They went through pretty quick. I have to say that normally, it's nothing like as bad as that - usually no more than

10 mins at most after the slot time, IME.
Reply to
Tim Streater

The latter option would also require the appropriate suffixes be worked out for 438 different languages.

Reply to
Basil Jet

The existence or otherwise of your village PO has nothing to do with the Royal Mail. Like all such tiny PO's, it was a franchise operation run by the people at the village shop, who had to front £8k to have the right to set it up in the first place. If they closed it, that was because they couldn't make it pay.

You don't actually know that at all, harry. All you know is what they choose to charge you. The actual cost of the operation is hidden from you.

Same with Beeching and the railways in the 60s. All he did was go through BR with a toothcomb and discover which parts were making a stinking loss and thereby wasting society's resources.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Perhaps you should try waiting.

Reply to