Useless Pressies?

OK, so who got completely useless DIY pressies this year?

SWMBO gave me a B&D Auto Tape - to my mind a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Plus my daughter gave me the PP version for my biffday in July - so I now have two battery operated tape rules.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perhaps they're trying to re-inforce the old adage, "Measure twice, cut once!"?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Why do they do it? Wonder what a teenage daughter would think if you gave her a CD of music you'd only guessed she'd like? SWMBO a dress etc the same?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I believe a handsome young buck by the name of Roger Whitaker is all the rage with the young ladies these days.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Pork Pie?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yeah, didn't you know - it's a new unit of measure developed by TMH, along the lines of cubits and spans. Bit smaller than the ginster.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Childern, children, Its the thought that counts, not the present. Have none of you ever made this type of mistake. Come on, tell the truth. The black teddy is still hanging, un-worn, in the wardrobe. (Your wife's wardroe I hope)

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
TPMcCann

PP = Pointless Present?

mark

Reply to
Mark

Normally this is a case of DIY'ing your own house ie when they buy you a drill they want shelves putting up or if they buy you Screwdriver set,its put the flatpack together.

Looks like in your case its...you're not measuring up. ;-)

Reply to
George

How come SWMBO'd didn't know about the biffday one from daughter...

B&Q or Screwfix vouchers are a good way to get what you want. A few quid to spend on something that you could use but probably wouldn't actually buy yourself. Last years vouchers bought a handheld vacuum cleaner. So much easier that dragging out a mains vacuum after drilling a hole or two. Get someone to hold it under the drill when making the hole and there is even less cleaning up to do. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Has he left old duram town yet?

Reply to
George

I nominate the Xmas mug which plays a medley of Jingle Bell, Santa Claus is Coming to Town and Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer every time you pick it up (no off switch, natch).

I note there's a label on the bottom which says "Not Dishwasher or Microwave safe".

Heh.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Probably got a couple but then I wouldn't come on to a newsgroup and bitch about it. How ungrateful can you be?

RS

Reply to
RoundSquare

Arn't you supposed to ask what he got the wife?

Reply to
George

Or possibly more worrying, one is not enough to measure it! That really would make him a handy man ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Performance Power. About as much use as a pork pie when it comes to measuring though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm not bitching, just trying to add a little humour to the group. Get a life.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So did you tell your wife and daughter they were useless pressies or are you

2 faced as well? You have a strange kind of humour, putting down the family in a public forum!

Have a nice day now.

RS

Reply to
RoundSquare

I've found the old trick of masking a bit of paper to the wall just below the drilled hole and then curving the paper up and attaching it to the wall to form a kind of trough, is great as it catches all the dust and you don't even need to vacuum after.

RS

Reply to
RoundSquare