Useless piece of junk

S'not mine :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but so far as I am aware, truly tubeless bicycle tyres are still in development (Michelin & others have very expensive tyres on test with trade teams which require special rims). On the other hand, tubular tyres have been in use for ages for racing, etc and I suspect that this is what you are referring to. These tyres do have tubes, however - very thin latex things which can be mended if you can be bothered to undo the stitching. Not trying to be pedantic, just curious. There were some "tubeless" tyres available years ago which had a sort of honeycomb core, but they were terribly uncomfortable, didn't roll well and were short-lived as I recall.

I'm surprised that you find these tyres preferable to modern day clinchers. I can change a tube at the roadside in 10 minutes, then repair the puncture in the comfort of my garage - and it's a lot cheaper than throwing away punctured tubs! I also know that the tyre will stay on the rim when re-inflated. Replacement tubs are a lot less secure unless you also carry tub tape or glue ( a very messy business in the wind & rain!)

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller

yep. I wondered at tubelses bike tyres too..have to have a gastight rim..and with all those spokes coming through, that is NOT easy.

Or are the rims made of CF or alloy with integral spokes these days..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rims can be made of CF or aluminium alloy (or both) and the high-end ones have specially developed spoking systems that do away with the need to have holes in the rim well - rims like these are the ones being used for the new breed of tubeless tyres. They also make the rims less prone to punctures from chafing on the spoke holes or spoke heads - too expensive for me though!

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller

Not with our ancient ones which have been in use for fifty years!

Ours have been Al for fifty yers - or more.

The initial outlay was expensive but if you've got them you use them, what's the point in buying anything new? We're not racing now, we cycle just for pleasure.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher