Use washing line to support cable with an electric mower

I have decking and slate chippings. And a comfy seat where I can sit drinking beer while other mow their lawns.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

(snip)

+1
Reply to
S Viemeister

How can the cable possibly overtake you? That would be against the laws of physics.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

One day, when the wibbling house is done, I will do a bit of landscaping in the garden (levels are everywhere).

I will reseed the lawn with something soft and slow growing. Where I've repaired and reseeded areas, I have grass that is either fine and slow or goes "boing" and is 6" high when all around is 3". Because I just bought random packets of seeds for that temporary fix...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Fuck knows. But it did.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Bob Minchin writes

AOL.

Work away from the power socket/source as well. Going around the outside is the only tricky bit.

While we are *willy waving* I actually use a ride-on and mow about 1/2 acre. The rest gets cut for hay/haylage or eaten by 4 hooved shit producers.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I can't see what you could be doing wrong. You're pulling the cable away from the socket across the lawn. How can the cable possibly get in your way? It's being dragged behind you!

Here's a picture....

Tough Guy no. 1265

I can't see what you could be doing wrong. You're pulling the cable away from the socket across the lawn. How can the cable possibly get in your way? It's being dragged behind you!

Here's a picture....

Tough Guy no. 1265

It did drag behind me. And it more often than not ended up just overlapping the next cut path.

Listen I don't know how the f*ck it did that - it just did.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I too remember this overlap in my old place, I always cut away from the socket, it was when one turned at the end of a row that it pulled it over, probably to do on where the feed for the lawn mower went in, left or right.

Reply to
ss

Yes, but they're very good garden destroyers also!

Reply to
Capitol

On 19 Apr 2015 15:57:07 GMT, Huge wrote:

It was nice. It was friggin' amazing! I was 19 when we moved there. My bro 10 years younger, so he got to know it much better. I left in 1969 to seek work in Germany. My dad worked his b*llocks off, commuting to London every day for 20 years as an accountant, plus working on the house and grounds in the evenings and weekends. He must have been constantly knackered. My mum ran the place as an old people's home "For Retired Gentlefolk", all of whom lived out their final years in very pleasant surroundings. Mum did of course have several helpers to help with the laundry, washing up, cooking, cleaning, caring and so on, but she, too, worked her fingers to the bone. She looked after the flower gardens at the front, while dad kept up the market garden round the back which itself was at least half an acre. Dad had green fingers, so we got most of our veg from the garden. As a farmer's daughter, mum always wanted her own cow, and when the Jersey arrived, she quickly got to milk it. She didn't have to learn. It's like riding a bike. She grew up on a farm in Herefordshire. She bought a separator, extracted the thick Jersey cream from the milk and made butter, also something she had to learn to do as a child in a family of nine or ten siblings (I've lost count of just how many, because Uncle Gilbert was killed in the first months of the war (WW2) in the Battle of the River Plate, and an aunt died quite young.)

Then in 1975 they retired. Sadly, after only five years of retirement and a busy life of caring for others (she was a nurse in World War 2), as well as bringing up a family, my mother died of a heart attack aged

60 in 1980.

In one way I am glad they are both long gone now, since it would kill them to see what has become of the place since they left.

MM

Reply to
MM

The cable for most mowers comes up the handle, and is then either looped through a hook in the centre, or you hold it with your hand to prevent the cable getting yanked. The cable hence is in midair for the last metre or so to the mower.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Well, you're welcome to the decking, I prefer longer lived systems, however, slate chippings can be a pain when next door reseeds their lawn, as we found out the hard way.

Reply to
Capitol

One of my favourite toys is the electric wheelbarrow. It needs a new

70AH battery every 5 years but for general heavy porting jobs it's a delight and robust. Wildly over priced, but I'd buy it again.
Reply to
Capitol

Well, it's done now. I fitted it this afternoon and tried it out. Actually, the petrol mower doesn't cut as close as the Bosch electric. Adjustment levers don't go down far enough. I might as well flog it for 20 quid, rather than having it cluttering up the garage. Big benefit is, no cable. But the Bosch really does cut nice and close and leaves a bit of a stripe with the roller at the back.

Every now and again I fire up the Suffolk Punch, but really only in the same vein as those who spend their weekends tending old locomotives on restored branch lines, as the Suffolk (not this one, but one like it) was one of the first engines I took to bits to see how it worked. I was about 13. Another one was my dad's Versatiller. Anyone heard of them? It was a 2-stroke and a piece of crap, quite honestly.

MM

Reply to
MM

Another cunning plan foiled!

But thanks. I'll take a look.

MM

Reply to
MM

My shoulders are rounded. The cable keeps slipping off, like a bra strap.

MM

Reply to
MM

I sharpen mine once every 10 years whether it needs it or not. Seems to work fine.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What sort of heart op, bypass presumably ?

What was the logic there ? Did they say why not ?

And so I purchased the

Reply to
john james