Use of trailcams for surveillance

Has anyone got any experience of using trailcams for surveillance? I've got a building that's sometimes unoccupied, and doesn't have an electricity supply, and I was thinking of using a trail cam to record any activity.

These trailcams are battery powered devices that will take a photo when movement is detected and store the photos on an SD card. They are normally used to detect and photograph deer, foxes, badgers Etc, but I'm thinking they might do good service for urban p1keys as well.

Something like this:

'm aware the trailcam might get nicked, but I'm thinking of mounting it high up.

Reply to
nospam

Yes I've been using a bushnell trophy cam for a number of months now. I have it set to take 3 5M pixel images at 1 sec intervals.

A couple of things

1 It was spotted quite quickly by people entering the workshop. 2 the point for attaching a padlock and keeping the case closed is thin plastic 3 the infra red flash glows purple when activated 4 there is about 1 sec delay between activation and first picture 5 although it has 3 sensitivity settings moving foliage close by triggers it 6 it took over 5000 images ( after I cleard the 4GB card a few times) on 8 AA alkaline cells. 7 the blue led indicating low battery is a give away but easilly hidden

I bought it for checking on a hedgehog in my garage and it worked well for this, it has caught foxes and cats and the hedgehog in the garden.

I haven't caught anything at work yet whereas the gardcam floodlight has caught fly tipping and a herd of 5 fallow walking across the yard.

I have had a 4mm stainless steel case made for it and I intend to set it up outside.

Our yard had 3 cheap surveillance cameras co located on a lighting pole and attached to a dvr 70 metres away but 2 of these and 4 channels on the dvr were broken by a nearby thunderstorm and I don't know how to protect them. My next plan is a cheap system using zoneminder and a power plug server if possible. The disadvantage of the cheap dvr is the loss of quality on compression of the camera output and the difficulty in reviewing the recording. The pir triggered devices at least give a time and date which can then be checked against the recording.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

In message , snipped-for-privacy@spamless.invalid writes

Cheaper at flyonthewall.com

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks for a thorough and detailed explanation. Just what I was looking for.

Reply to
Caecilius

"As one of Europe's leading broadcasting production companies FlyOnTheWall is well positioned to support your organisation in creating and distributing your events and content to your viewers on any platform. "

No cameras for sale there...

Reply to
The Other Mike

In message , The Other Mike writes

Umm... not the right place... Try this one:-)

Tim Lamb

Ta, I tried .co.uk in hope that it was a typo but uk.com wasn't an obvious option!

Reply to
The Other Mike