Use of sand bags to prevent flooding

For the record attributions wrong. I didn't say that. (but it doesn't matter)

That is a surprise! I remember staying in a floating hotel in Northwich Cheshire some time in the mid 1990's. It is apparently long gone now:

Martin Brown

Of course, all the services (water in/out, gas & electricity) would need to be on flexible connections

Reply to
charles

Others have commented that they do filter the water. Another thing they do is reduce the speed of flow. The flow rate is what erodes structures; it's less damaging for a building to sit in static water than for it to have a torrent flowing next..

but really, I think, you need sandbags and a pump if you want to keep the water out.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

In message , Andrew May writes

Did he mention that the councils agree to them because if they don't the developers will take it to appeal ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Martin Brown writes

Last time I was house hunting, not knowing the area, one of the things I looked at was the likelihood of flooding (that was a few years back when it wasn't quite the hot topic is now). Why don't the "incomers" of today do that ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

AIUI, that is part of the design.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That appears to be an hotel on a boat, which is not quite the same thing as a house that is designed to float only when flood water is present.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Why have you nymshifted?

Exactly my thinking.

Reply to
Huge

Well, I just bought a house 400ft up. In Cambridgeshire that's a lot.

And my son's place will be in an island town if this goes on - but dry.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Look to the West. See that fat beardy bloke jumping up and down and waving on a "hilltop" in Bedfordshire? That's me, that is. 224 feet above the Ouse.

Reply to
Huge

/ > Well, I just bought a house 400ft up. In Cambridgeshire that's a lot.

Look to the West. See that fat beardy bloke jumping up and down and waving on a "hilltop" in Bedfordshire? That's me, that is. 224 feet above the Ouse./q Er the Ouse is now to the west of Cambridgeshire?! Woah these floods are getting serious....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Even if the sewers don't work, they won't overflow into the houses.

Reply to
Roger Mills

hell I'm 300 ft+. 40 miles east of you

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ouse valley system starts west and south of cambs.

I'm sitting JUST to the south of its watershed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can still get flooded on a hill.

Reply to
harryagain

I'm part way up a hill just on the 300ft contour, and yet ...

There is a house just around the corner from me which was built in 15xx, (so hardly in keeping with the current fad for building on flood plains) and that is known to flood. It has a stream running through the garden (which is generally OK), but where it leaves the garden it enters a culvert that runs for a mile or so. For many years TPTB didn't bother to keep the culvert clear, even though it was obvious with every heavy downpour that there was a problem. Eventually we had a prolonged deluge, and properties flooded.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I'm beginning to visualise adding a pointy hat and fishing rod over the river to that description. A Gnome to rival the Angel of the North.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Ghod, no. I hate fishing.

Reply to
Huge

Ah, the mountains of Cambridgeshire. Which village?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

Well just in the Cambs border is Great Chishill around 146 MAOD..

Or over to the east I'd say Weston Colville .. or Castle Camps, all around 126 MAOD..

Reply to
tony sayer