use of 's-', s'mell' or 'grease traps' in tropical climates

I just moved into a new appartment in a new high rise in Southern China. To my surprise I noticed that ****there are no 's-traps'**** (='smell trap', 'grease traps, etc': the s- or u- shaped 'contraptions' under each sink and all the drain lines. As far as I know they have to be used in al residential constructions. The water also drains from the balconies in the same way. The whole building, all 25 strories, are built this way.

To make sure I explain it clearly: all the drainage lines are connected to- or go horizontally, straight to the vertical drainege lines, whih their air escape to the roof! Only the toilet bowls have their built in 'traps'.

Is this an accpetable, sanitary, building practice? Is this done because we are in a very hot, humid climate or I'm the victim of a bulding mistake or even of a scam?

Prompt expert's advise is greatly appreciatted, as things are starting to s(t)ink here!.

MWMAN

Reply to
mwman

That sounds very wrong. In this following case there may have been s-traps in bathrooms but the water in them had dried up from disuse:

Kong health officials say one person with SARS infected hundreds of people in an apartment complex through faulty sewage pipes.

Hong Kong Health Secretary Dr. Yeoh Eng-kiong says the SARS-infected visitor had diarrhea and as more people in the complex came down with SARS and also had diarrhea, contaminated feces spread the virus through the apartment's sewage system and then into bathrooms through drains whose seals had dried up.

Reply to
Matty F

Look at the Hepworth site and use HepVo traps.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Mmm, clever. Wonder how long they last. Also I suspect they're vulnerable to damage by people using drain-snakes. Obviously they shouldn't need to in that situation, but you can bet someone somewhere will do it anyway.

They may very well make things easier for my bathroom refit next year.

Reply to
Guy King

A long time.

Nope.

Can't account for idiots or members of the uk.d-i-y Lunatic Association (affiliated).

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Hot even as they're pulled back? I'd expect the hook on the end to snag on the floppy bits.

Reply to
Guy King

They are very robust.

Reply to