Use of linseed oil putty.

Is there any reason to not use linseed oil putty (the stuff used for glazing) to seal the small gap between the metal frame of my garage door and the bare brick wall?

Now that it's getting a bit nippy, I'm on a quest to eliminate drafts from the garage, and this gap is a big contributor to thermal misery.

Cheers.

Reply to
David Paste

Yes, it's crap. It's far too rigid, so any movement cracks it, and tends to crack with age anyway.

Almost any proprietary mastic goop in a tube will be better. Look for an outdoor (UV stable) frame sealant, rather than a silicone. If it's _really_ flexible, pay more and get a polysulphide.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , David Paste writes

Why not use a polyurethane foam , wghich will expand to fill the crack, then face it off

Reply to
geoff

OK, cheers.

Is frame sealant paintable?

It's not flexible at all, really, but thanks for the tip.

Reply to
David Paste

Linseed against a metal frame that will move slightly means the 2 wont bond well, but it should still work, it just will only be 98% airtight.

Anything other than silicone is paintable.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Use "painters caulking". It comes in a tube just like silicone sealant and can be painted over easily -- and is available from the 'sheds' or nearest builders merchants.

A word of caustion with this stuff, read the information on the tube and pay particular attention to what it says about external use - it usually doesn't stand up to a constant soaking with water like silicone.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Why, is there a canoe in the garage?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Depends. Go to a shop with a range of them on the shelf (i.e. not Screwfix, who don't give much information in their cat) and read the tubes. "Frame sealants" will all be UV and weatherproof, with some degree of flexibility, but some are paintable and some (not just silicones) aren't.

"Caulking" is generally a good finish, sometimes mechanically capable, but rarely weather and lightproof for outdooor use.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well, I have a stack of putty in the garage, so I was thinking of using it for the sake of using it, but if it's not as good as something else, I'll use something else!

Cheers.

Reply to
David Paste

Thanks to you all for your advice.

Reply to
David Paste

Thrust and ... parry

Reply to
geoff

Well, applying the "nothing to lose " principle - go for it

Reply to
geoff

Yeah, it seems a shame not to use something that would otherwise be thrown out. If it all goes pear-shaped, I can always rake it out and use another method.

Reply to
David Paste

Don't forget to allocate a HBS [1] Number.

[Hare Brained Scheme]

Its going to make a right mess!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hmm, well I'm not sure it is going to make a mess really. I've got a bit of experience dealing with this putty. And as for HBS numbering, well, they are all subsections of HBS-DP-001 (consciousness)!

Reply to
David Paste