Use for old broken slates

What can I use my old broken slates for?

I guess they can't be used for french drains as they powder and that would block the water.

I could put them in a cement mixer with a brick and break them up a bit.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I stood one of my sheds on a load of them to keep it out of the mud.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

What sort of quantity?

NT

Reply to
NT

how do you mean "powder"? likely to bother a French drain?

Always handy to have a few in your building pile for smashing up, and using to pack up under lintels, masonry repairs etc.

Smash em up and use em in the garden as a path/patio "feature" worst case:- pay for a skip and dump 'em

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

If you're digging trenches to bury steel wire armoured cable in the garden, you can use slates as an intermediate physical protection layer for the cable.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

about 8 wheel barrow fulls

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

They are ideal packers for tweaking the height of joist or lintel ends - they don't crush readily or migrate moisture. Also useful for finishing the eves of a roof and retaining mortar under tiles. Can be used for decorative brickwork etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

fireplace, onto concrete

NT

Reply to
NT

That is the ideal use. Though the crush resistance and water permiabilty might be compromised if these slates are not the best quality and have been on a roof in and industrial area for 100 years...

If they still "ring" rather than "clonk" when tapped they are still sound.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice