USB Memory sticks

Are you sure you have the years correct? I started programming in primary school, so before I was 11. That was with punched cards and a portapunch and we had to post the cards to IC to run. That would be at least 44 years ago. I don't recall ever seeing punched tape around at that time.

Reply to
dennis

In message , Phil Addison writes

I remember the manual calculators we had. Monroes, I think.

Reply to
News

En el artículo , mike escribió:

Ebuyer recently screwed me over on a refund due under DSR, so their business ethics are questionable.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

The USB equivalent of the floppy disk.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Are you having any other problems with your computer. I had a working computer that was toasting hard drives.

I never bothered testing the thing for the actual fault. If it was the mother board or the CPU I wouldn't have wanted to put any more money in it.

You can buy serviceable second hand boxes good enough for office work for a hundred quid or so.

Tesco did a nice one a while ago. A small one of 4 to 8 Gb is OK but anything larger and you risk losing a lot of data if you leave it plugged in at a public machine. A favourite trick of mine not long ago.

The Tesco online shop might have better bargains than the local supermarket. Not that I am a fan of supermarkets. Or online shopping.

Note bargain offer on one of them: From =A33.83 or 3 for =A318

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Nice link.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

There is a Creed 444 teleprinter 6' behind my left shoulder and a load of blank tape in the garage, terminal unit(s) to drive it are in the loft.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hmmm, I thought the 803 used 5-hole paper-tape. At least the one we had at Uni did. Algol? Now there's posh - we were stuck with Autocode.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Fancy a hack like you not knowing about top posting. Oh wait...

Anyway: "In the end, I=92d have to say that both SanDisk and Samsung look like they might be superior wholesale vendors to Kingston for memory cards due to their more direct control of their respective supply chains.

Unfortunately, you can=92t buy Samsung-branded microSD cards on the retail market, as far as I know =97 Samsung only sells their cards to wholesalers who then rebrand and/or resell the card, and like Kingston these non-OEM brands may blend their vendors so it=92s hard to say if you=92re getting the best card or simply a usable card."

Sounds like the manufacturers are using the scammers to their own advantage. Otherwise they would have their own outlets.

It might be that Kingston itself is only a shell company. It wasn't all that long ago that these people were caught out for price fixing RAM so there is plenty of reason to believe they haven't changed.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

One of the 32 was a "shift" character that gave you access to another 31 characters.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have one I keep on a neck cord that I use for backing up my company data. I then transfer the data to a second computer in a different location.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes, that'll be it.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

How about buying directly from Crucial (Micron) in the UK. Probably expensive - and I've not looked at the products - but might be worth it in the long (FSVO) run.

Reply to
PeterC

How good are you with a small soldering iron? I've seen a couple of these where the USB connector is soldered directly to the main board of the stick. After a few insert/removes the joins give up. Quick dab with a soldering iron and voila - of course it does require you break into the casing - a little prising with a screw driver might help but if it's one of those with a sliding cover, hacksaw the cover off if you can't force it. Even with a careful split, the cover will work well enough for what you need.

OK, it's cheaper to buy a new one, but the pleasure of fixing stuff...

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

ITYF that punch cards pre-dated coils of punched tape.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The one on the right looks like ours, but surely I can see 8 holes (+sprog)? My hazy memory is homing in on that one, I'm sure it wasn't

5-hole. This would have been 1962/3 at the Bristol BSCT, just before it was moved over to Bath to be elevated to Bath uni.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

I am pretty sure the one we went from school to see at Elliot's in Rochester in the 60s used punch cards. That was certainly how we (briefly) played with it later. But we did not have the luxury of a punch card machine for our brief lessons: we used to have to fill in special coding pages to have the cards punched by their people; then check the cards; then have them run. Nothing as fancy as Algol though: IIRC more a matter of keeping track of whatws in the accummulator. And all done by post so the time from coding to output was around 10 days ;)

Reply to
Robin

I've had my Corsair Voyager (in the ali tube that's waterproof) since 2006 ish and it's still fine.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My first job in the 60s involved a slide rule for approximate calculations, logs for more accurate work, and for what we called 'data reduction' (calculating figures for successive columns ruled on a large sheet of squared paper) there was the Madas electromechanical calculator. I'd been taught how to use a Brunsviga calculator at college, where I'd seen my first computer - an analogue one for calculating the roots of a quadratic. 'Data reduction' was ten hours overtime on a Saturday following a week collecting the data.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

I'd love to have heard the screams caused by opening the final post to read a single sheet with the words "SYNTAX ERROR" or somesuch crash message...

I could not have lived in those times...

Reply to
Tim Watts