USB cameras for DIY use

A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether they were any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places - has anyone found anything suitable?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

NoSpam brought next idea :

Well, not USB, but the Aldi/Lidl type places often advertise a fairly small camera intended for wall mounting. We bought a B&W one a couple of years ago for about £25. It has a built in mic, circled by IR LED's plus IR sensitive (so dark is not a problem), intended for outdoors in a robust metal case, had a 30m long cable and plugged into a Scart socket of a TV. It could also be set to trigger the Scart if the scene in the camera suddenly changed - so if someone walks near it, the TV switched from BBC to the cameras view.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I use my camera phone. Saves messing about with moving computers etc.

Reply to
zaax

Why usb? laptop use yes but most flat screen monitors(if not all)have a composite input besides the normal digi input. So a composite wireless camera also has its advantages over laptop USB ie the wireless camera can be more manouverable than one on a cable.

Reply to
George

There ya go cheap and cheerful.

George

seventeen quid for shipping!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Its actually the buy it now price but if you reverse the P&P and buy it now price the seller doesn't get hammered by the rip-off ebay payments. Been like that for some time now or are you not aware of this?

Reply to
George

this timew of night) but isn't that link (given twice instead of two different ones???) to a monitor instead of a camera as the OP was on about?

Sorry if I'm being thick

John

Reply to
John

Mistae in posting it twice, sorry. ;-)

Take your pick of the cameras though....

all in one jobby...

George

Yes, for use with a laptop. For a DIY "looking down holes and under floors" application I can't see the appeal of wireless. I think ideally the camera should be pen-shaped so it can fit into holes or be strapped-on to a pole.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

I'm not saying this is the case here, but I've heard stories where the goods are shipped faulty, and on complaint you get your money back.

But not the shipping.

That's why I flagged it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Cannot speak for the masses,but one of the wireless cam recievers I bought off an hong congy was faulty,he emailed me a return form(RMA) and refunded the P&P amount it cost me to send it back. The item was changed as thats what we agreed.

However I can see your point but the rules are if the item is faulty and you require a replacement and the seller cannot meet this demand a complete refund of what it cost&P&P plus any return will be given.

However its up to the individual to ask questions first before buying and also reading the sellers terms if in doubt.

Reply to
George

But isnt there a restriction on the lenght of the USB cable that can be used?

This one is small enough to go onto a pole...

it would have to have an bright led attached to it for light. There are bullet cameras there on ebay but are wired and composite input...

George

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "George" saying something like:

5metres with a plain USB lead. However, you can buy 5metre USB repeater leads (which are actually single-port hubs) that you can daisy-chain up to a max of ~25m, iirc. I have two of them and find no problems with a 10m length.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Righto so a daisy chained USB camera is better on a lead and pole to poke around crevises and the like as opposed to a wireless Spy camera with a battery attached to a pole with no interfering lead.

:-)

Reply to
George

I know size matters, but 5m would be enough for me. I thought there would be loads of suitable cameras but still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Reply to
NoSpam

Can also get usb>cat5 baluns, allow to go quite lot further

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "George" saying something like:

If you want real remoteness, you can also go for a USB->Cat 5 ->USB setup, which is much more expensive, but gets out to ~100m.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adam Aglionby saying something like:

And faster too, by about 30 mins.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon