USB 2.0 cables

Clearly one would have to make sure the oxygenated water didn't get into the wires, and maybe some sheeting to stop the oxygen diffusing into the air.

I wonder if the mermaids would complain about SCUBA-type kit?

Reply to
Clive George

You'd need two tanks, though, with one to catch the exhaled CO and prevent it contaminating the pure hydrogen you were keeping the mermaids in. Not quite sure what that'd do to their skin/scales, either.

Reply to
Adrian

It does. Not by data rates so much but by power transmission: some of the cheap cables don't have enough copper in them to power the device at the other end - the resistance is high so that it only gets maybe 3 volts at the end of the cable when there's a load on it. I've had this happen on medium power devices like 3G dongles at the end of a 5m cable.

Unfortunately 'thick' cables sometimes have more plastic but no more copper. So the only way to tell is to measure the resistance, or to chop one in half.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

harryagain

Reply to
Clive George

I saw that, but I was looking more for an in depth sort of opinions on the different thicknesses of usb2 cables.

Reply to
Bob H

Loads of makes of USB cable .... I bought cost of my recent cables (HDMI) from Amazon ... found for most things he Amazon Basics range or Kenable are fine. Sure it may not be as good as a £50 cable ... but I'll never see a difference.

I certainly would not pay more than a £3-4 for a 2m USB 2 cable

Reply to
rick

For USB A connected ends, not sure there is much difference except with truly rubbish products. But when one end is microUSB, they seem very much less reliable. It isn't a case of speed - more that they work continuously without failing when bent, or the plug end is pushed. Or they don't carry the juice effectively.

Reply to
polygonum

Thinner cables have more internal capacitance, so you might find the length of run would be less, but it also depends on the hardware at either end. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've given up. I just can't find decent ones, for the following reasons:

Not enough copper (as mentioned in my other post) MicroUSB plugs that break MicroUSB plugs that wear the device by needing wiggling to make contact Chubby plastic to disguise bad cables as good ones 'Genuine' manufacturer cables that are fakes Changing supply, so the part you bought last month isn't the same any more

It seems like whoever you buy from, whatever the price is, and whoever's name is on the outside, is no guarantee of getting a good cable. The only good ones are the cables that come with devices, because you can be sure that Samsung or whoever can't ship a bad cable with their phone.

Maybe I should make a cable resistance tester and measure some. But doesn't help with the plug robustness or supply chain variability.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

There not bloody mermaids there're Rhine Maidens ;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I've now discovered the search term to use is 'AWG micro usb': (AWG=American Wire Gauge, smaller number=thicker cable)

28/28 AWG means 28 AWG wire for data and 28 AWG for power

Most cables claim to be 28/28 - resistance 0.21ohm/m Some are 30 (eg StarTech) - R=0.34ohm/m, or 32awg. I read some rumours that the cheap ones even go up to 40awg (R=3.4ohm/m) Better cables are 28/24 - R=0.084ohm/m There's some fancy cables at 28/22 (R=0.052ohm/m),

28/20 (R=0.033ohm/m), or 28/18 (R=0.020ohm/m) Some of those thicker cables are power-only

Those resistance figures are for copper, multiply by about 1.6 for aluminium.

So a 30awg wire made of copper-coated aluminium has R=0.55ohm/m, in other words if you draw 2A you drop 1.1V/m in the cable. 3m cable and you only get 2.7V left for the USB device at the other end.

Managed to find a source of 20awg cables at a sensible price, which I might give a try:

('100% genuine' probably means they certify it really is a cable)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

amazon aren't just one shop or supplier. They have a range of products from differnt suppliers, check out the suppliers and delivery times too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

But it does or can do, if the wrong data arrives error correction picks it up and asks the device to resend the packet. This is why chap cables can seem slower you get errors and what's called collisions more in ethernet cable than USB.

Reply to
whisky-dave

They'll always be plenty of them scamming us with laywers fees and heads of goverment projects.

Reply to
whisky-dave

With a name like Aliexpress, do they have any copper in them?

I bought a Cromo cable:

Expensive for a cable but cheap and nasty micro-USB have been such a pain - I think one even damaged the receptacle of my phone - I took the plunge. Got the shortest one and add A-to-A-socket extension leads as needed.

Reply to
polygonum

But you can, if you wish, ignore that and only buy products sold by Amazon themselves.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

You've not heard of the digital cliff?

The line between "every bit getting there" and "no bits getting there" is pretty thin.

Incidentally Ethernet collisions are pretty well dead now. A decent hub will buffer frames up as necessary. It's not like the old days on coax.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris