Urgent Yale lock question

Posted a while ago about installing my first lock and got some helpful advice, I'm a bit stuck though. I've installed the Yale deadlocking rim lock (the really buig chunky one) and its all gone quite well apart from one fairly major thing.

the cyllinder has been screwed to the door from the inside and the back plate of the lock itself is ready to be attached to the door. there are several woodscrews which attach the backplate to the door and two, long, flat headed screws which attach it to the actual cylinder. when I tighten these two screws the key wont budge in the lock. at the moment they are screwed in but are very loose. they can't really stay like this, as if they worked looser they could stop the lock from turning all together and then I'd be locked out and totally stuffed.

I've hacksawed them to the minimum length as the instructions suggest but still when I tighten them to any degree the key won't turn in the lock.

what am I doing wrong??????

any ideas from people who've installed this lock before or can figure out what I'm on about?

Reply to
kev208

Which model is it exactly?

The two cheese headed screws attatch to threaded lugs at the "bottom" of the brass barrel, don't they? When you pass these through the dished back plate do they pull the barrel off centre, or move the (supposedly secured) back plate? Does the key still refuse to turn when the "handle mechanism" is not attached?

Don't panic, the lock is still reasonably safe for a while, even if it's not fitted dead tight now,

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Kev,

Have you cut the 'long piece of metal' sticking out from the key cylinder to the right length?

This fits into a slot on the back plate and if it's too long, it will jam on the bottom of the 'thumb turn' on the backplate giving the symptoms that you have.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Assuming that you have the whole lock assembled it could be that the tail of the cylinder (the long flat bit) is needing shortened.

Reply to
Scabbydug

Wrong keys for the cylinder? it does happen. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Thanks for the replies. I did cut the metal arm on the cylinder down but I bet not far enough. As the screws tighten its pressing the whole thing together and not letting the cylinder turn. Never thought of this as the problem as I obviously thought 'I've cut that down it's nothing to worry about' - pretty sure this is the the problem now - thanks.

Oh, right keys by the way and it is the BS6321 Cyclinder Rim Lock.

I'll let you know.....

Reply to
kev208