Urgent stupid kitchen question

Does anyone have a kitchen handy ?

What's the gap between the worktop and the underside of the wall units ?

Cheers

Norm

Reply to
norm

Mine's 45.6 cm = 3*15cm tiles + grout gaps.

G.

Reply to
G.W. Walker

The gap between the top of the base unit and the bottom of a 3 shelf high wall unit should usually be 500mm. Subtract the worktop thickness from this to get the measurement you are looking for.

This works for MFI and many other brands. However, you should allow any full height or tall (to worktop) wall units to dictate the exact position. If you have both full height and tall wall units, you may be limited to a specific worktop thickness, usually about 40mm, or the tops won't align.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

600mm approx. here.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

Cheers for all the answers.

I've ended up about 550 because it looked right.

Reply to
norm

No bad thing - I just used a 600mm gap 'cos it "works tiles", as well as giving reasonable worktop working space.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The main problems with going for a non-standard > 460mm height are.

  1. Won't work if there are any tall units that dictate cornice height.
  2. Supposedly concealed under pelmet lighting can be seen.
  3. Short people can't reach the cupboards.
  4. Will go through the ceiling if you have low height available.

However, 10cm isn't going to kill anyone, so if those constraints don't matter, go ahead!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Guess who got half the wall units up at the "standard" height before SWMBO said "I can't reach!" :-(

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Whatever is necessary for the person who will use the kitchen most to reach the top shelf in the wall cupboard, but preferably also a whole number multiple of the tile row height (which is slightly more than the size of the tiles).

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

With a wife who only comes up to my heart (she's 4'9") our worktops are lower than usual as are our wall cupboards. Which I regret 'cos she rarely cooks and being 6'2" I have to bend down a lot.

Come the big kitchen refit....

Reply to
Guy King

Typically 450mm. but you may want something different.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Reply to
crackpot