URGENT - Oven Hob Electrics - Another question?

Hi

Further to my other post today, I have tried to do some further investigation, but I'm not so up on electrics, I'm only a mechanical engineer :-)

So pull the oven out and disconnected all the cables to check for damaged insulation.

Then put a multimeter across the oven and hob connections block in the appliances..

This is what I found

Oven approx 1Meg Ohm resistance

Hob 750 Ohm resistance, also get beep from multimeter continuity test.

Also tried my old slot in cooker with ceramic hob - over 1 Meg Ohm.

With my basic knowledge this tell me there is an internal short in the hob.

I would be grateful if some one with electrical knowledge can clarify this or correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree before I get on the phone to Stoves (manufacturer) tomorrow.

I the above is complete garbage at least tell me...

Thanks

Duncan

Reply to
DeeBee

My guess would be there is no problem with the cooker, and it is more likely to be a wiring problem.

For your MCB to have tripped you are looking for a fault current in excess of 32A and hence a resistance between live and return of 240/32 = 7.5 ohms (or less). So the 750 ohms of the hob should not cause that.

Note also that measuring the input resistance of a modern hob may not tell you much because you do not know what type of control circuits it has. You may also get very different actual values when the hob is powered with 240V AC.

A more useful test would be to disconnect the new cooker cable at the CU (so that it is not connected to the CU or the cooker) and measure the resistance between live and neutral, live and earth, and neutral and earth at either end of the cable. Try with the cooker point switch both on and off. If you get anything other than complete open circuit then you have found your problem.

Eliminate the wiring first I think....

Reply to
John Rumm