uPVC windows

My house (also around 120 years old) has just one window which is in desperate need of replacement - it's the only non-original one, replaced when the previous owner was doing up the kitchen...

Reply to
docholliday93

Kewl, I'll go out and buy some 120 y/o replacement windows, then.

Oh.

Reply to
Huge

my house is a comparative younster - only 102 years old. 5 years ago we had most windows replaced - with wooden ones. I hope they last 90+ years too, although I don't think I'll be around to see.

Reply to
charles

flying pigs would do as well as Everest. On the other hand it is easy to install a decently made set of redwood windows that will last 3 times as long as any plastic/aluminium jobs.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

That will be good - they are readily available because of the fools who are duped by the microPVC suppliers. All the parts for mine are still available, which will not be the case for the PVC stuff in 20 years time.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

I have to correct myself - the worn-out jobbies were C R Smith not Everest.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Except they aren't.

Reply to
Huge

I am in central London

Reply to
asalcedo

Gone to

Sensible thing would have been to keep both URLs

Reply to
Tony Bryer

But they are - there is a thriving salvage industry for decent house components - doors especially, perhaps caked in paint but underneath fine workmanship.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Good point.

Reply to
Huge

"Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player."

and got a competent web designer.

Reply to
djc

+1

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

If they do report then to trading standards

that is now officially an illegal selling technique (the expiring today bit)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Do they have to expire "today" for that to be the case, or can they expire not today but still only a short time in the future?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Agreed, you may have good windows made from decent profiles and good glazing but if they are installed by a monkey using a couple of nails and the minimum of sealant... It's not difficult to install a window but to do well takes time and time is money.

As others have said there are very few makes of the profiles so try and find out which profile you like the look of then find a local company who can make your frames with that profile. The smaller companies will buy in from the same local maker. With the sealed units again there are only a few makers of those, the frame making companies will buy in the glazing from one of those.

Above all avoid Everest, Anglian, etc biggest cowboys out there. With Anglian the "branches" are actually franchises, when (not if...) you get problems Anglian HQ won't be at all interested and just push you back to the franschise. Their fitters are pretty hopeless, it says something when they have to full time "trouble shooting" teams following the fitters around...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

well the rule is:

"7. Falsely stating that a product will only be available for a very limited time, or that it will only be available on particular terms for a very limited time, in order to elicit an immediate decision and deprive consumers of sufficient opportunity or time to make an informed choice"

tim

Reply to
tim.....

On Wednesday 14 August 2013 18:28 Jonathan wrote in uk.d-i-y:

My ali windows are at least 30 years old.

The only thing wrong with them is the power coating is a bit fouled up - and T-cut fixes that nicely.

They are 12mm gap DG with a 4mm thermal break so not upto currect standards

- however, some checking showed they were not that far off - not far enough to get any payback by replacing them.

For the anally retentive, replacing the DG panels (several are misting up) with modern coated ones will add some improvement.

I did add new locking handles (they were drilled to one of several standards and a bit of wibbling on ebay turned up compatible handles).

I have replaced 7 other windows (crittal and softwood non DG) with decent quality uPVC in rosewood finish. Ask me in 20 years how those are going.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah - thanks, that's very helpful.

Reply to
Tim Streater

"Up to a year"! Everest have been pestering me for nearly 12 years now, since I asked for a quote (which came in at 3 times higher than the local firm I used).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel