uPVC Window reclaimed

Hi all, I recovered a quality PVC frame and window from a skip the other day, its lockable and yes you guessed it its in the locked position and no key!!!! anyone know how to open and replace the locks on these? Is it a easy or difficult job??

ta

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Mindwipe

A locksmith should be able to do it for you. How easy depends on the lock, but theyre usually low security.

Or you could visit howstuffworks.com and read up on basic lockpicking.

Or failing everything else you might have to smash the window instead :)

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Not with them in the locked position he won't. One screw wil lbe covered by the locked handle. The keys are rubbish. You can probably pick them with a paperclip. failing that jam a medium screwdriver in the key slot and force it open. New complete handles are very cheap to the trade. A local supplier gave me some.

Reply to
BillR

On a similar vein... SWMBO wants me to replace the horribly corroded brass (effect) handle on the bathroom UPVC window. I got a replacement easily enough - Screwfix stock 'em).

Unfortunately, now I come to fit it, I discover that the current handle has only one screw, accessible when the handle in the open position (we still have the key!) But there is obviously something, presumably a second screw, holding the other side of the handle in place but how the dickens do I get to it? Please don't tell me I have to remove the glazing bars and the d/g panel. Could it REALLY be screwed from the inside or is there some trick?

For any officionados or UPVC historians, the window was fitted over ten years ago by a long-since bankrupt outfit. The glazing bars are internal but it doesn't have the super secure, multipoint locks that current units have. The handle simple operates a steel strip which slides along the bottom of the frame. It carries a couple of bolts which engage in fishplates on the sill. There are four screws through slots in the steel strip which act as guides but removing these doesn't allow the strip to slide out so no secrets there. There are no other visible screws at all!

Anyone have any experience / advice?

TIA

Steve T.

Reply to
Steve T.

Back from holidays - time to pick up the DIY tasks and newsgroup threads!

I've taken another look at the handle on my UPVC window. There is a screw on one side which is accessible with the handle in the open position but the other side is solid metal - no cover obscuring another screw.

Although the current handle is very badly pitted and corroded, it still works OK so I'm reluctant to get the drill out or to try brute force as I don't want to end up replacing the whole window (or rebuilding the house!).

Funny how you never have a portable X-Ray machine around when you really need one isn't it? I'm sure there must be some magic trick to remove the old handle. Anyone know any incantations?

Steve T.

Reply to
Steve T.