uPVC window as bespoke shower panel?!

Call round the glaziers in your area, and ask about it. Odd shapes can be done not too expensively, and then the panel sent out for heat-treating. (or you can use laminated glass.)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Years ago when I needed something like this, I bought a diy kit for secondary double glazing which gave me lengths of H section aluminium and corner fittings. I used this with acrylic sheet plastic in.

The resulting screen is still in my bathroom today.

It may well be more difficult to find secondary DG kits these days but I might give you another option.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If cost is an issue. I had to build something similar some time ago, I used those square glass blocks that you can now get in different colours from most diy stores.

Reply to
Mark

I'm fitting a new 760mm shower door to a 900mm-wide shower tray. For the remaining 140mm of width, I'd idealy like a glass panel but unfortunately the roof line passes down diagonally through this area, so the only realistic option is a customised panel; ie arm-and-leg job. I'd therefore resigned myself to building a short bit of stud partition to fill the gap instead (attempted rough diagram of panel profile is below).

However, I just got to thinking; would there be any mileage in trying to use a bespoke uPVC window in this space instead, on the basis that suppliers of these are geared up to routinely producing customised windows. I'd need to find a suitable-looking frame profile which would match the door (= white-painted aluminium); the outside of the window would need to face inwards; it would need special glass etc.

Can anyone tell me if this is a complete non-starter; am I missing the obvious? If not, what spec of glass would I need? Or d'you reckon would it end up costing as much as a customised shower panel (surely not)?

Thanks David

_ | \ | \ | \ | \ | \ | \ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |______|

Reply to
Lobster

No they cant be cut, I had a gap wide enough to take 3 full blocks luckily, I filled the top ceiling angle with tiles.

The edge between showerdoor and glass I fitted a piece of wood embedded into tile cement, and fixed the frame to this then silicon sealed the edges. Its been up, watertight for about eight years now.

HTH

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark

Definitely!

Cracking idea - never thought of that one! Might well do that. I've never used those blocks - is it possible to cut them or are you stuck with using 'whole' blocks? Also - assuming you used them adjacent to a shower door, same as I would be doing; how did you attach the vertical edge of the doorframe to the glass blocks, so it was firm, safe and waterproof|?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster