UPVC Window architraving

Hi,

One of the upright architrave bits on my front windows managed to ping itself off in the wind has now gone off in the skip. Can these sort of things be bought on their own from somewhere ?

Thanks

Séan

Reply to
Séan Connolly

What's it look like? Are you just talking a length of flat uPVC? That is certainly available from Wickes, in various widths.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Its the stuff that covers the metal upright of the window frame. Its actually got an indent in it, but I guess you'd never notice if it was all flat. Its brown as well. I'll check out Wickes though.

Can they be cut to length ?

The annoying thing is I can remember throwing it out as well, I thought it was from the back window which we've had replaced with patio doors!

Reply to
Séan Connolly

If you're talking about the bits that divide up a single glass pane to look like smaller individual windows, I was told they're called "shadow bars". They are profiled UPVC extrusions. I think you'd have better luck contacting people who build the DG units. Several of ours have popped off, so I bet that this was be a common request. I've stuck some back on with double sided tape, they seem at least as secure as the originally fitments. (I do actually hate these things, and am contemplating pulling the whole lot off, but don't relish the subsequent job of cleaning off the sticky goo they'd leave behind.)

Reply to
mark_yh

Along the same lines does anyone know the best place pick up some of the UPVC trim that is used to bridge between the window and the wall/ interior finish (mine are around 1-1.5" wide)?

Reply to
Rob Convery

Can't quite visualise what you mean TBH...! Can't remember if Wickes do brown stuff.

Yes, cuts easily with a hacksaw or jigsaw

David

Reply to
Lobster

That's definitely the stuff Wickes sell, which I was banging on about in my last post!

David

Reply to
Lobster

From any building plastics reseller.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

No, they're the things to give windows a Georgian look. This was actually connected to the window frame to cover up the steel underneath.

I'd try some of the local wholesalers I think

Thanks anyway :)

Séan Connolly

Here you go

aren't my windows but it should help me explain. You see the upright I've indicated on the picture, well its that bit, although its flatter in my case.

Séan

Reply to
Séan Connolly

Wickes won't sell those. I think they're called bow trims. They are supplied flat but bend in the centre to the required angle. Mail order plastics companies sell them but there is a minimum delivery cost normally which will be higher than the cost of the trim. I'd say your best bet is to pop into a local UPVC window manufacturer and buy them.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Many thanks, I now know what to ask for !!

Séan

Reply to
Séan Connolly