UPVC Window advice

I need to embark on a phased window replacement programme at home. My starting point will be a bay window which will cost about £1,200 based on quotes received in response to dimensions e-mailed to some firms. What do you think are the key characteristics I should be considering when making a choice - mainly relating to the frames. All are quoting for the latest standards of glazing. I need brown frames.

Reply to
John

The main thing with bay windows is to ensure that if the old frame was supporting any structure above, the new window must be reinforced and include structural metal to maintain the support. Also, do you want internal or externally glazed windows ? In theory externally glazed windows can allow a less bulky frame appearance, since the handles can be nearer the glass (no need to allow space for the beading on the inside). However, they are often regarded as less secure, and (especially for upstairs windows) the regulations about working at height are making internally glazed more popular now. Also, there are a lot of sculptured frame options around these days, which are a far cry from the ugly old chamfered frames used in the past.

One tip always to be taken. Make sure you get quotes from local firms, since the are often better for quality and price that the national chains.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I was going to ask if England had a similar organisation to the Window Advice Centre is Scotland who operate as a middleman between consumer and installers arranging estimates for identical specs and there is an Insurance Policy to cover the installation in case of the preferred company being unable to do the installation and also 10 years after that but I see that

to offer the same service .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

John wibbled on Friday 01 January 2010 12:14

Try pricing it on

As others have said, you need to verify if you require structural support, or just built it in anyway.

Reply to
Tim W

If you're changing from wooden frames have a look at some sample sizes to see how they will look. Upvc frames are usually more bulky than wood and the glass area particularly in small upper lights can look ridiculously small.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You can often get a better deal when buying all the windows at the same time. There is a lot of disruption but it is all over with after two or three days. You could even stay in a hotel for a couple of nights and still not make much of a dent in the saving.

Reply to
Bruce

I described it as a bay window - I think it is more accurately an Oriel Window. It sits on a blockboard sill that is in turn supported by a central timber bracket on the outside. The roof over the window is part of a run of roof that is not supported by the window frame

Reply to
John

I'm not much of a structural expert and wasn't even aware that window frames added anything to a buildings support! I would have thought builders would design houses to be structurally safe with no frames! Anyway, since I used to work for a double glazing firm here's my two- penneth worth.

In 2003 I ordered 11 windows from my company (2 x double doors toughened glass, 1 bay window consisting of 5 separate frames, 3 top openers and two bottom openers all using toughened glass as it was close to the road), the remaining windows were a menagerie of different sized typical house windows. All in brown.

All were approved (as your purchase should be) to Document L standard (introduced sometime in 2001-2 I think). Brown was extra cost. And the double doors should have retailed at =A34000 each! Total bill in excess of =A317,000. I paid =A33335 (including VAT). And the build cost was a mere =A31200. For the lot. I checked. I worked there so looked up the material cost.

My advice - whatever you are quoted - laugh, half it and then call them on the last day of the month when their desperate to hit their targets and knock another 10% off. Good luck

Reply to
Bear

Interesting glimpse into the economics of the DG industry. Have you now retired to the Cotswolds on your ill-gotten gains?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

About 20 years ago our house (then Council-owned) was DG'd. We had about half a dozen 'droids from different companies and I asked each one what the price was, All were about £3.5k; the Council paid about £1.7k (having several villages done probably helped).

Reply to
PeterC

Well, a glimpse into one part of the DG industry. If you phone a normal local supplier you will get a sensible price in the first place ! I think if I had a national chain type round for I quote (after they'd got the missus to sit down with us, as the old salesman trick goes), I'd be laughing very hard in their face, and then say what I could get it for at the place down the road, and ask them to justify it. I think people are wising up a lot these days, but I guess there are still enough mugs around. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

And inappropriate plastic windows can knock hefty chunks off the price of a 'period' property.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not an issue - 1988 vintage - John Carr wooden double glazing.

Reply to
John