UPVC WINDOW

Hi could someone please give me advice on how to change a dead pane in a upvc wnidow to an opening pane.

Reply to
bruceianscott

With great difficulty - a complete new window would have to be made. (All the joints are heat welded).

Woodworm

Reply to
Woodworm

That was my initial thought but engaging brain I'm not so sure. The frame is made from standard profile, with vents made to fit the opening and the hinges screwed to the frame. I think a non-vent pane just has the sealed unit made for the (larger) opening and fitted into that opening, just like a sealed unit fits into the frame of a vent.

I suspect the problem will be finding the profile to make the vent frame from that matches the existing frame profile.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave,

I presume that a "dead pane" in this case is simply a double glazed unit fitted straight into the rebates of the window frame (no sash) complete with seals and beads (internal or external as the case may be) -as is the norm IIRC [1].

Now to change that to an 'opening' sash, then a sash will have to be made and this will need to be heat welded to the correct size to fit into the frame plus the cutting and fitting of glazing beads and rubber seals and the glass- along with the ironmongery to fit it (and the fact that the frame may have to be removed to fit the sash [1]).

As the OP stands, I believe that the job is to be a D-i-Y attempt - and that will be rather difficult.

Now, if the OP has contacts with the original window supplier/manufacturer (or someone who has the necessary gear and knowhow) then the job 'may' be feasible - although personally, I would suggest getting a complete new window.

[1] And if this is glass *is* *internally* *beaded* - then that that really would be difficult as the sash would have to open inside the room. [2] This will depend on the size of the existing profile (standard or narrow) and how tight the fit is in the opening (may not be enough frame showing [especially if fitted behind the outer skin of the wall [3] and add-on profile has been used]) [3] Which could be the case if replacing an old box frame window - all good fun!

Perhaps a little more information from the OP would make things clearer.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

To add to what others have said, my mum had this done. She got a new bathroom window which only had a top hung vent, and then realised she couldn't reach it. She got the firm back and they took out the lower fixed pane and replaced it with a second opening one (£££ of course). But unless you have access to the same profile system I can see it being problematic.

Reply to
Tony Bryer