uPVC Front Door Handle Wont Operate

Hi all

Don't have many details, just a text from sister that the uPVC front door to her house will lock/unlock, but the lever handle won't turn.

Any pointers on the likely cause of this and remedies please? Big vague but that's probably all I'll have till the weekend.

Ta

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Our door lock started getting harder to lock completely (the upwards turn to engage the locking points) until it simply wouldn't lock at all. Turned out one of the receiving plates was loose and jamming the mechanism. 5 seconds with a screwdriver good as new !

Reply to
Jethro_uk

"Jethro_uk" wrote

Thanks Jethro

If I can get it open I'll check that out

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Burglar tried to do the old lift trick etc?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote

Hi Brian

Can you explain the "lift trick" please?

I think this is just wear and tear - the door has been dropping (at the open corner IYSWIM) for a while. Had a look last night, managed to get the door open, mainly by waggling and force on hande. WD40 into door mechanism, rightly or wrongly.

Now if either outer or inner handle is operated sharply, the door will open cleanly. Suspect she may need to get a man in - I can't see any means of adjustment on the hinges to remedy the catching of the bottom corner.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Sounds like it needs toe & heeling. Link below loads on google.

ss

Graphite powder worked for me. It is not easy to buy in the local shop.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

A common cause of this is the door slowly dropping, and eventually the bolts miss the holes in the striker plates.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hasn't been toed and healed.

Do it now. If the lock jams solid it can mean having to take the whole frame out to get the door off if there are claws on the lock.

Replacing the lock is a DIY job as long as the replacement is an exact match and the door is toed and healed properly.

Reply to
Ilene Dover