uPVC French Door Additional Security

Hello All,

We have a fairly old set of patio doors to the back of the house, and I'm a bit concerned about the security of them. We recently had new windows put in throughout and now the door is probably the weakest point of entry. It opens outwards, has the hinges exposed on the outside and there is movement when you wiggle it. We dont want to replace it yet, as a much later (3 - 5 years) plan is to open up the whole of the back wall with those sliding door that fold back, but this would mean loads of building work.

I want to add a couple of bolts/deadlocks to the inside, how easy is this to fit to uPVC? Would a heafty dollop of "no nails" and a few 3/4" self tapping screws be enough to secure it?

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

No.

You might want to consider "thumb-turn shoot bolts" or "finger-operated shoot bolts" if your doors don't have them already. (Should be fitted as standard on French Doors) They can be retro-fitted in the eurogroove on the edge of the Master and Slave doors. They work vertically to engage a pin into the head and foot of the frame. Cheap to buy, easy to fit.

A Google search will produce several references. The Fullex web site could show examples.

HTH

Reply to
Ziggur