UPVC double glazing / trickle vents

My plans for the extension contains the usual wording about ventilation and windows:

Windows to habitable rooms to have opening vents not less than 5% floor area of room, plus 8000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation. Kitchens and bathrooms to have 4000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation.

But I've been looking at the UPVC windows around and the trickle venting seems to be ugly sliding things on the inside, horizontal slots on the outside, and looks horrid. Also, it is a noise path even when "shut". What is the alternative to these, that will satisfy the regs ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Windows that can be locked slightly open.

Passive stack ventilation.

Whole house ventilation and heat recovery system.

Airbrick on the outside wall ducted to slidy-shut covers on the inside. (These are quite easy to block up later...)

Reply to
Owain

Airbrick (probably plastic louvred to get the area) outside, hit-and-miss vent inside. You could like the opening between the two with acoustic tiles to reduce any noise.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I don't believe there is as, to satisfy the regs, you will need a FENSA certificate for the windows and FENSA certified units will come with trickle vents automatically. I supect you wouldn't get a FENSA certificate without the vents either as it's not their job to see if you are sorting out ventilation in some other way, just to certify the windows.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I could be wrong (it does occaionally happen) but did I read somewhere that windows that can be locked/secured in an 'ajar' position are acceptable alternatives to having 'permanent' trickle vents fitted?

Certainly our Rehau units, only a couple of years old, don't have trickle vents - but they can be locked in a 'slightly-open' fashion (very handy that feature is too). Of course, perhaps they're not regulation compliant but it's a reputable brand I believe (which is good enough for me).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Might be worth checking with your local BCO whether they are an absolute requirement. They aren't round my way; I have no idea why. I've fitted several under BCO supervision with no problem at all. The local window manufacturers are well aware and I think don't routinely fit the trickle vents!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I agree, around here no one cares neither...the BCO probably isn't interested in the slightest.

Reply to
Phil L

Is that new? I had loads fitted a couple of years ago and they didn't have vents, they came with the normal fensa certs.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

That's my understanding of what the FENSA subscription man told me. HE said that owner/occupiers tended to buy the lock-in-an-intermediate-position windows ('cos they look nice) whilest rentiers (including councils and Housing Associations) specify the ugly looking windows with trickle vents ('cos they're cheaper - and tenants tend to dry clothes indoors with windows shut tight leading to damp problems).

Reply to
Brian Sharrock