UPVC doors - able to repair?

Hi,

I have a UPVC front door, which seems to have a handle which is comming lose, and one of the locks which go into the frame is not going back into the door properly, does anyone know if I can fix these problems myself, or is it a case of a new door. I have just moved into this property a few months ago and dont know the make of the door.

I'm not too bothered about the lock problem at the moment, its easy just to push it back in, but if the front door handle comes off, them im in a bit of bother.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Dempsey

There are firms which repair UPVC doors and windows - we have had a couple of catches replaced and some sealed units. This is generally cheaper than a new window or door. Best look in your local Yellow Pages.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

If its just the locking system thats faulty then it should'nt be a problem to repair.

Maybe local double glazing company would take it on, but if its not a system they work with they me not be interested. (could be expensive).

To do yourself Take some notes off the Dimesions of the locking system and handle (backset size normally 35mm flush side off plate to C/L off spindle), ask some local pvc fabricators/double glazing company if they have the parts (complete locking sytem and keeps).or any hardware suppliers that could sell you the parts.

The again you could ask one off the factory fabricators to do it on the side, Prob be cheaper and knows what to do

Reply to
Ally MC

Go to a locksmith, they repair/replace these things.

Reply to
Ron Ireland