UPVC door lock gear box: Anyone advise on replacing this one?

Hi, The gearbox in my UPVC door has stopped working. Can anyone advise on selec ting a replacement? The backset is 35mm and the distance between the centre s is 92mm. There are many gear boxes on ebay with these specifications - bu t can I find one that can take my existing roller-studded locking strips? O r do I need to replace the entire locking hardware? Here is a photo of the way the stud-strips engage with the gearbox (see my pink arrow):

Is that rectangular engaging-hole universal, or is every lock different? I don't know the make of my gearbox. It has a couple of labels with German te xt (no brand name). There is a number inside the gear box: 12160.

Here is a pic of the complete gearbox and connecting hardware:

Should I just toss the existing hardware and buy a complete new "universal" one? Any recommendations that are cheap but effective?

Thanks for any help.

JD

Reply to
JD

ecting a replacement? The backset is 35mm and the distance between the cent res is 92mm. There are many gear boxes on ebay with these specifications - but can I find one that can take my existing roller-studded locking strips? Or do I need to replace the entire locking hardware? Here is a photo of th e way the stud-strips engage with the gearbox (see my pink arrow):

I don't know the make of my gearbox. It has a couple of labels with German text (no brand name). There is a number inside the gear box: 12160.

l" one? Any recommendations that are cheap but effective?

Take the busted one down to your local PVC windows supplier & they'll sell you a replacement.

Reply to
harry

electing a replacement? The backset is 35mm and the distance between the ce ntres is 92mm. There are many gear boxes on ebay with these specifications

- but can I find one that can take my existing roller-studded locking strip s? Or do I need to replace the entire locking hardware? Here is a photo of the way the stud-strips engage with the gearbox (see my pink arrow):

? I don't know the make of my gearbox. It has a couple of labels with Germa n text (no brand name). There is a number inside the gear box: 12160.

sal" one? Any recommendations that are cheap but effective?

l you a replacement.

Thanks; I'm sure you are right, but owing to the lack of competition in my locality, it would cost an arm and a leg. These things aren't cheap, even o n eBay. I don't want to spend any more than I have to, because I'm planning to change the whole door as soon as I can find a suitable (used) replaceme nt.

JD

Reply to
JD